Adventist Adventurer Awards/Fish
- 1 Find three of the “fish stories” in the Bible.
- 2 Learn how fish served an important part in providing food for the pilgrims.
- 3 Learn how to care for a pet fish.
- 4 Learn about 2 fish that live in a lake or ocean that is closest to you and how to protect them.
- 5 Play a fish game
- 6 Or complete a fish craft.
- 7 External Resources
Find three of the “fish stories” in the Bible.
|Loaves and Fish - Mark 6:34-44 (NIV)|
|When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things.
By this time it was late in the day, so his disciples came to him. “This is a remote place,” they said, “and it’s already very late. 36 Send the people away so that they can go to the surrounding countryside and villages and buy themselves something to eat.”
But he answered, “You give them something to eat.”
They said to him, “That would take more than half a year’s wages[a]! Are we to go and spend that much on bread and give it to them to eat?”
“How many loaves do you have?” he asked. “Go and see.”
When they found out, they said, “Five—and two fish.”
Then Jesus directed them to have all the people sit down in groups on the green grass. So they sat down in groups of hundreds and fifties. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to his disciples to distribute to the people. He also divided the two fish among them all. They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces of bread and fish. The number of the men who had eaten was five thousand.
|Father Knows Best - Luke 11:11-13 (NIV)|
|“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”|
|Fishers of Men - Matthew 4:18-22 (NIV)|
|As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.
Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.'
Learn how fish served an important part in providing food for the pilgrims.
Most of the surviving Pilgrims were not farmers by trade, however they followed Squanto’s advice and set up their land accordingly. Over the course of the summer, they also learned how to fish the local waters.
Learn how to care for a pet fish.
Taking care of a Goldfish
Goldfish are often cited as one of the easiest types of fish to care for in an aquarium setting. Goldfish are relatively hardy, being able to tolerate fluctuations in temperature and water quality. In addition to this, goldfish can live in an aquarium setting for as much as 10 years! However, many people mistakenly believe that goldfish do not require as much care and attention as some other types of fish. Here is a general guide to help you to better understand proper goldfish care.
- Water Quality
- Goldfish are notorious for producing a large amount of waste. While some of this waste (especially fecal material) may be due to a diet that is too high in protein, this is not the only type of waste that goldfish produce. Goldfish secrete harmful chemicals through their gills as well, which can quickly reduce their water quality. To help prevent your goldfish from dying unexpectedly, it’s important to closely monitor the water quality. Replace at least 10% of the water in your goldfish’s tank once per week, using a siphon to remove waste from the bottom of the tank.
- Goldfish require a diet that is slightly lower and protein, while higher in carbohydrates than the diet of most other fish. This is because goldfish aren’t able to completely digest a diet that is high in protein. To give your goldfish a proper diet, be sure to purchase either a flake or pellet food that is specifically designed to be fed to goldfish. Since goldfish are opportunistic eaters, they generally will overeat if given too much food. As a general rule, only give your goldfish as much food as they can consume in a period of 3 – 4 minutes.
- Types of Goldfish
- Due to selective breeding, there are many different types of goldfish that can be kept both in aquariums and in outdoor ponds. Most of the variations are referred to as “fancy goldfish”, and are not as tolerant of varying temperatures or water quality. In addition to this, some goldfish that have been selectively bred to display a specific body shape may have swimbladder problems, which may affect that fish’s ability to swim. In addition to this, certain “telescope eye” goldfish have notably poor eyesight, and may not be able to compete for food with some other goldfish types. When selecting the right type of goldfish for your tank, it’s important to choose carefully.
Learn about 2 fish that live in a lake or ocean that is closest to you and how to protect them.
Fish you can find in Lake Whitney in Texas
- Largemouth bass
- Flathead Catfish
Protect your lakes -
Start picking up trash around the lake if you notice a lot of trash coming from the storm drain system. Pollutants such as soil, pet waste, motor oil, antifreeze, grass clippings, pesticides, and fertilizers wash into storm drains or ditches and eventually into the rivers and lakes without being treated at all.
Easy ways to reduce pollution:
- Keep all litter out of storm drains, and bring a trash bag with you on walks near streams
- and lakes to pick up trash (Don’t forget your gloves!).
- Pick up pet waste. Wrap it tightly in a bag, and throw it in the garbage. Or flush it down
- the toilet.
- Recycle used motor oil and antifreeze.
- Learn about organic gardening, instead of resorting to pesticides and chemical
- Compost your grass clippings.
- Take unwanted household chemicals, oil paints, and solvents to a hazardous household waste collection center.
Play a fish game
Make a stick fishing pole with a string and magnet on the end. “Go fish” for goodies like little Bibles, stickers, gummie fish, etc
Or complete a fish craft.
- 2 paper plates
- Tempura Paint
- 1clear storage bag
- Blue, green, colored construction paper
What you do:
Paint outside of one paper plate any color you want. Paint the inside of the other paper plate blue and let dry. When dry cut out a circle from the middle of colored paper plate to fit a storage-size bag into it. Glue the bag around the edge of the cutout fish bowl. Draw fish on paper and cut out and decorate. Place gravel, green shredded paper, green raffia, shells and fish onto the blue inside of the paper plate. Glue both paper plates together. Enjoy your aquarium.
Aquarium Paper Plate Diorama Craft- Enchanted Learning
Fish Award- KFW Adventurers