Adventist Adventurer Awards/Acts of Kindness
|Acts of Kindness|
Read Romans 12:10 and Proverbs 12:25. Discuss what each verse means.
|Romans 12:10 (NIV)|
|Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.|
|Proverbs 12:25 (NIV)|
|Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.|
Give examples of kindness and love.
- Parents are kind to and love their children
- Friends are kind to each other when playing together, at lunch, and when working together;
- God loved us so much that he sent his Son from heaven to earth to live with people and to then die for us that we might live forever with Him in heaven.
What does the Bible tell us about each of these two words. Use a Bible story to illustrate someone who showed love and kindness.
The best example in the Old Testament is the story of Ruth Link here
The best example in the New Testament is the parable of the Good Samaritan Link here
Other passages (though not stories)
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 This passage describes the qualities of true love. Among other things, it is kind and gentle, characteristics that should be evident in our relationships and words.
- Ephesians 4:32 Followers of Christ are encouraged to imitate Christ's life and values in their own lives. One obvious way we can do that is to imitate the kindness and compassion that Christ showed to everyone he encountered.
- Proverbs 16:24 There is a tremendous power in kind and gentle words. The simplest word of encouragement or support can brighten somebody's day. This is the sort of speech that should be on every Christian's lips.
In summary, someone who loves Jesus will always want to do the kind thing to their friends, family, and animals. Because we love Jesus, we will even be kind when others (our enemies) aren't kind to us. Jesus was kind, even when people were being cruel to Him. Because of His help, we too can be kind at ANY time.
Read or listen to three (3) stories of kindness.
Act out in a skit or charade different acts of kindness.
I love puppet shows so here are some:
Online Search for other great ideas: "charade kids 2nd grade kindness"
Plan and do an act of kindness as a class or club.
BE SURE that you have adequate parent help. Be sure that you have chosen a small enough project that Sunbeams can accomplish in one or two meeting periods or “Family Network” afternoon.
- Donate toys, clothes, non-perishable food, blankets, towels, old cell phones, etc. to different organizations
- Bake cookies & drop them off to your postman, firefighters, police officers, etc.
- Tape change to a vending machine, meter machine, etc. for others to use
- Clean up a park, beach, or playground
- Rake the leaves of an elderly neighbor’s home
Puppet Scripts - PuppetResources.com
Bible on Line - Biblegateway.com