History of video games
This book will explore the history of a groundbreaking kind of media: video games.
This book explores major games and their characteristics, as well as the technological and social history that drove their development.
Everyone is welcome to contribute to this book!
Table of Contents[edit | edit source]
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
- Early Games - 1950's and earlier
- 1960-1969 - Early development
- 1970-1979 - Gaming enters the public view.
- 1980-1989 - Crash and revival
- 1990-1999 - 2D to 3D transition.
- 2000-2009 - Refined 3D and online gaming.
- 2010-2019 - Online refines, rise of esports.
- 2020-2029 - Present day.
Platform History[edit | edit source]
Standardized platforms[edit | edit source]
- Computer Games
- Web Gaming
- Mobile Gaming
- Fantasy Computers and Consoles
- Calculator Gaming
Extended Reality History[edit | edit source]
Arcade Gaming History[edit | edit source]
Landmark Games[edit | edit source]
Specialty Gaming History[edit | edit source]
Topics of special interest in gaming history.
Specialty Platforms & Genres[edit | edit source]
Gaming Culture History[edit | edit source]
End[edit | edit source]
Meta[edit | edit source]
- The History of Trench Wars - Another gaming history Wikibook focusing on a single game (Subspace).
- How to Contribute
- Book Development
- Print version
|The labeling of a console as belonging to a certain generation is somewhat arbitrary, as console generations are partly determined by a mix of technology, release year, and social factors. This book uses labels that appear to have general consensus to reduce confusion.|