ਜਾਣ ਪਹਿਚਾਣ - Introducing yourself[edit | edit source]
When you meet an unknown person or a group of unknown persons you introduce yourself to them. Here ਰਾਜੀਵ-Rajeev and ਸਤਿਨਾਮ-Satnam who do not know each other are meeting in a conference. You are always formal with unknown people and therefore there is no informal dialog between them. This is how they interact.
- Rajeev : Namaskar, I am Rajeev.
- Satnam : Namaskar Rajeev, My name is Satnam.
- Rajeev : I am very pleased to meet you.
- Satnam : Have you come to participate in conference?
- Rajeev : Yes, of course.
- Vocabulary : ਮੇਰਾ = my, ਨਾਮ = name, ਮਿਲ ਕੇ = on meeting (you), ਬੜੀ = very (much), ਖੁਸ਼ੀ = happiness, ਹੋਈ = happened, ਖੁਸ਼ੀ ਹੋਈ = felt happy, ਮੈਨੂੰ = to me, ਮੈਨੂੰ ਵੀ = I also felt happy, ਕੀ = an interrogative word, ਕਾਨਫਰੰਸ = conference, ਵਿੱਚ = in, ਭਾਗ = part, ਲੈਣ = take, ਲਈ = for, ਆਏ = come, ਆਏ ਹੋ = have come, ਜੀ ਹਾਂ = yes
Explanations : ਰਾਜੀਵ-Rajeev initiates the conversation here by greeting Satnam with a 'ਨਮਸਕਾਰ - Namaskar' and then introduces himself as Rajeev 'ਮੈਂ ਰਾਜੀਵ ਹਾਂ'. The greeting 'ਨਮਸਕਾਰ - Namaskar' used here is formal. ਸਤਿਨਾਮ-Satnam responds by greeting him with 'ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਰਾਜੀਵ - Namaskar Rajeev' and also introduces himself as Satnam 'ਮੇਰਾ ਨਾਮ ਸਤਿਨਾਮ ਹੈ'. After the introductions ਰਾਜੀਵ - Rajeev continues the conversation by telling Satnam that he is pleased to meet him 'ਮਿਲ ਕੇ ਬੜੀ ਖੁਸ਼ੀ ਹੋਈ'. Satnam responds by saying that he too is pleased 'ਮੈਨੂੰ ਵੀ'. Continuing the conversation he asks Rajeev if he has also there to attend the conference - 'ਕੀ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਵੀ ਕਾਨਫਰੰਸ ਵਿੱਚ ਭਾਗ ਲੈਣ ਲਈ ਆਏ ਹੋ? Rajeev confirms by saying 'ਜੀ ਹਾਂ'.
Introducing others[edit | edit source]
When a third person, say Kamala joins in conversation between two persons, say ਰਾਜੀਵ and ਸਤਿਨਾਮ as in the above example and one of them, say ਰਾਜੀਵ knows the new entrant, it is appropriate that he introduces the new entrant to his partner. This is how it is done.
- Rajeev : Come Kamala, this is Satnam and this is Kamala.
- Kamala : Namaskar, pleased to meet you.
- Satnam : Namaskar, Me too.
- Rajeev : Let's go inside and take seats.
- Satnam and Kamala : Yes, conference is due to begin.
- ਆਉ = come, ਇਹ = this, ਹੈ = is, ਅਤੇ = and, ਮਿਲ = meet, ਕੇ = on, ਮਿਲ ਕੇ = on meeting (you), ਬੜੀ = very(much), ਖੁਸ਼ੀ = happiness, ਹੋਈ = felt, ਮੈਨੂੰ ਵੀ = me too, ਅੰਦਰ = inside, ਜਾ = go, ਜਾ ਕੇ = after going, ਬੈਠਦੇ ਹਾਂ = sit, take seat, ਹਾਂ = yes, ਕਾਨਫਰੰਸ = conference, ਸ਼ੁਰੂ = start, ਹੋਣ ਵਾਲ਼ੀ = about to, ਹੈ = is.
Sharing personal information[edit | edit source]
On certain occasions you may like to share personal information about yourself, more than just saying who you are. Here is a sample of how you do it.
- Mohammad Ashraf : As-slama alaykum, I am Mohammad Ashraf.
- I live in Chandigarh.
- I have a doctorate in Punjabi language from Guru Nanak Dev University.
- I teach Punjabi in Punjab University.
- My specialization is in linguistics.
- I am also interested in Painting and dramatics.
- On weekends I love going to cinema.
- Shimla is my favourite haunt.