Punjabi/About Punjabi Wikibook
This Wikibook is dedicated to the learning of the Punjabi language. It is meant to be an introductory course for the non-native learner of Punjabi language having working knowledge of English language. The wikibook aims to help the learner acquire basic working knowledge of Punjabi language.
This Wikibook is divided into five modules viz., Gurmukhi, Muharni, Vocabulary, Conversation and Grammar. The modules contain systematically arranged learning material. There are ample number of illustrative examples and exercises to help the learner completely assimilate the material. There is reference material also.
- This is a basic module meant to learn the script of the language and must be learnt thoroughly before you can expect to make further progress in learning Punjabi. The module contains eleven chapters which should be learnt in an hour each. Exercises should be attempted after each chapter. The Practice chapter has been included to help you learn writing individual letters of the Gurmukhi script. Most chapters contain sound files to familiarise you with letter names. The best way to quickly learn script is to do lots of practice, an average reader may need three to four of revisions of this module. So pick up your pen and practice notebook.
- This module is specially designed to make you comfortable with Punjabi speech. Muharni literally means a speaking practice exercise. There are eight chapters, first seven chapters containing words starting with each letter of the row with the last being sum total of all rows. You shall be required to speak out words of Muharni to acquire Punjabi accent. You can play the sound files to get help to speak out the Muharni chapters. You should be able to speak out each row at a stretch before you can claim to have learn that chapter. Finally you should be able to speak out full Muharni at a stretch. Spend at least half an hour on each chapter and go over this module at least thrice.
- This module contains about 500 words in twenty chapters and seeks to equip you to undertake reading exercises with ease. Some preliminary grammar concepts like number, gender etc. are taught with the help of these words. This module is not a prerequisite for following modules and can be skipped but the reader will do well to go through these chapters doing all chapter end exercises.
- This module is the ultimate aim of the wikibook and intends to equip you with the skill of using Punjabi language as a means of communication. An important feature of this module is its complete lack of dependence on a formal knowledge of vigorous rules of grammar. However an attempt has been made to make you aware of the rules of grammar by their actual usage in common conversation. The exercises have been based on the situations that you face in your day to day life.
- This module is an advanced topic and is not required to be formally learnt. Its best use lies in frequent references by the learner. However once you have mastered other modules and you are prepared to put in some extra effort, a thorough learning of this module will most likely help you have a deeper understanding of the language.
Phonetics is a special Appendix for those who wish to use their knowledge of Phonetics in learning the Punjabi phonology. There is a Dictionary of Punjabi Usage that provides you a handy dictionary and a large number of examples of the correct usage of these words.