Scouting/BSA/Theater Merit Badge
|The requirements to this merit badge are copyrighted by the Boy Scouts of America. They are reproduced in part here under fair use as a resource for Scouts and Scouters to use in the earning and teaching of merit badges. The requirements published by the Boy Scouts of America should always be used over the list here. If in doubt about the accuracy of a requirement, consult your Merit Badge Counselor.|
|Reading this page does not satisfy any requirement for any merit badge. Per National regulations, the only person who may sign off on requirements is a Merit Badge Counselor, duly registered and authorized by the local Council. To obtain a list of registered Merit Badge Counselors, or to begin a Merit Badge, please contact your Scoutmaster or Council Service Center.|
Requirement 1[edit | edit source]
See or read three full-length plays or scripts. These can be from the stage, movies, television, or video. Write a review of each. Comment on the story, acting, and staging.
Requirement 2[edit | edit source]
Write a one-act play that will take at least eight minutes to perform. The play must have a main character, conflict, and a climax.
Requirement 3[edit | edit source]
Do THREE of the following:
- A. Act a major part in a full-length play; or act a part in three one-act plays.
- B. Direct a play. Cast, rehearse, and stage it. The play must be at least 10 minutes long.
- C. Design the set for a play or a production of a circus. Make a model of it.
- D. Design the costumes for five characters in one play set in a time before 1900.
- E. Show skill in stage makeup. Make up yourself or a friend as an old man, a clown, an extraterrestrial, or a monster as directed.
- F. Help with the building of scenery for one full-length play or two one-act plays.
- G. Design the lighting for a play; or, under guidance, handle the lighting for a play.
Requirement 4[edit | edit source]
Mime or pantomime any ONE of the following chosen by your counselor.
- A. You have come into a large room. It is full of pictures, furniture, other things of interest.
- B. As you are getting on as bus, your books fall into a puddle. By the time you pick them up, the bus has driven off.
- C. You have failed a school test. You are talking with your teacher who does not buy your story.
- D. You are at a camp with a new Scout. You try to help him pass a cooking test. He learns very slowly.
- E. You are at a banquet. The meat is good. You don't like the vegetable. The dessert is ice cream.
- F. You are a circus performer such as a juggler, high-wire artist, or lion tamer doing a routine.
Requirement 5[edit | edit source]
Explain the following: proscenium arch, central or arena staging, Spotlight_(theatre_lighting), floodlight, flies, center stage, stage right, stage left, stage brace, stage crew, cyclorama, portal, sound board.
Requirement 6[edit | edit source]
Do two short entertainment features that you could present either alone or with others for a troop meeting or campfire.
[edit | edit source]
|Earning Merit Badges in the Boy Scouts of America|
|Indoor Hobbies and Arts and Crafts|
|Art | Basketry | Bugling | Coin Collecting | Collections | Cooking | Dog Care | Fingerprinting | Genealogy | Indian Lore | Leatherwork | Model Design and Building | Moviemaking | Music | Painting | Pets | Photography | Pottery | Programming | Radio | Railroading | Reading | Sculpture | Stamp Collecting | Theater | Wood Carving | Woodwork|