Scouting/BSA/Art Merit Badge
|The requirements to this merit badge are copyrighted by the Boy Scouts of America. They are reproduced in part here under fair use as a resource for Scouts and Scouters to use in the earning and teaching of merit badges. The requirements published by the Boy Scouts of America should always be used over the list here. If in doubt about the accuracy of a requirement, consult your Merit Badge Counselor.|
|Reading this page does not satisfy any requirement for any merit badge. Per National regulations, the only person who may sign off on requirements is a Merit Badge Counselor, duly registered and authorized by the local Council. To obtain a list of registered Merit Badge Counselors, or to begin a Merit Badge, please contact your Scoutmaster or Council Service Center.|
Requirement 1[edit | edit source]
Discuss the following with your counselor:
- A. What art is and what some of the different forms of art are
- B. The importance of art to humankind
- C. What art means to you and how art can make you feel
Requirement 2[edit | edit source]
Discuss with your counselor the following terms and elements of art: line, value, shape, form, space, color, and texture. Show examples of each element.
Requirement 3[edit | edit source]
Discuss with your counselor the six principles of design: rhythm, balance, proportion, variety, emphasis, and unity.
Requirement 4[edit | edit source]
Render a subject of your choice in FOUR of these ways:
- A. Pen and ink,
- B. Watercolors,
- C. Pencil,
- D. Pastels,
- E. Oil paints,
- F. Tempera,
- G. Acrylics,
- H. Charcoal
- I. Computer drawing or painting
Requirement 5[edit | edit source]
Do ONE of the following:
- A. Design something useful. Make a sketch or model of your design. With your counselor's approval, create a promotional piece for the item using a picture or pictures.
- B. Tell a story with a picture or pictures or using a 3-D rendering.
- C. Design a logo. Share your design with your counselor and explain the significance of your logo. Then, with your parent's permission and your counselor's approval, put your logo on Scout equipment, furniture, ceramics, or fabric.
Requirement 6[edit | edit source]
With your parent's permission and your counselor's approval, visit a museum, art exhibit, art gallery, artists' co-op, or artist's workshop. Find out about the art displayed or created there. Discuss what you learn with your counselor.
Requirement 7[edit | edit source]
Find out about three career opportunities in art. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
[edit | edit source]
|Earning Merit Badges in the Boy Scouts of America|
|Indoor Hobbies and Arts and Crafts|
|Art | Basketry | Bugling | Coin Collecting | Collections | Cooking | Dog Care | Fingerprinting | Genealogy | Indian Lore | Leatherwork | Model Design and Building | Moviemaking | Music | Painting | Pets | Photography | Pottery | Programming | Radio | Railroading | Reading | Sculpture | Stamp Collecting | Theater | Wood Carving | Woodwork|