Scouting/BSA/Dentistry Merit Badge
|The requirements to this merit badge are copyrighted by the Boy Scouts of America. They are reproduced in part here under fair use as a resource for Scouts and Scouters to use in the earning and teaching of merit badges. The requirements published by the Boy Scouts of America should always be used over the list here. If in doubt about the accuracy of a requirement, consult your Merit Badge Counselor.|
|Reading this page does not satisfy any requirement for any merit badge. Per National regulations, the only person who may sign off on requirements is a Merit Badge Counselor, duly registered and authorized by the local Council. To obtain a list of registered Merit Badge Counselors, or to begin a Merit Badge, please contact your Scoutmaster or Council Service Center.|
Requirement 1[edit | edit source]
Using x-ray (radiographic) films and with your counselor's guidance, study the tooth structure and look for decay. Then do the following:
- A. Using the radiographs as a guide, draw a lower molar. Label its parts and surfaces. Show surrounding structures such as bone and gum tissues.
- B. Show on your drawing where the nerves and blood vessels enter the tooth.
- C. Show on your drawing where bacterial plaque is most likely to be found.
Requirement 2[edit | edit source]
Do the following:
- A. Tell or write about what causes dental decay and gum disease. Tell how each of the following contributes to dental decay and gum disease: bacterial plaque, sugars, and acid.
- B. Tell the possible causes for traumatic tooth loss, describe the types of mouth guards used to help prevent tooth trauma, and list the athletic activities during which a person should wear a mouth guard.
- C. Explain the first-aid procedure for saving a tooth that has been knocked out.
- D. Discuss how the use of tobacco products can negatively affect your oral health
Requirement 3[edit | edit source]
Arrange for a visit with a dentist. Before you go, ask whether your visit can include a dental examination and a plaque-control demonstration. Afterward, ask questions about things you want to know. Then tell your counselor what the dentist does during a checkup examination.
Requirement 4[edit | edit source]
Do TWO of the following:
- A. Name at least five instruments and five pieces of equipment a dentist uses.
- B. With the help of a dentist, prepare a dental stone cast using a vibrator, a mixing bowl, a water measure, a plastic measure, model stone, and a spatula.
- C. Keep a record of everything you eat for three days. Circle those items that may provide the sugars that bacterial plaque needs to make aci:D. List snacks that you should avoid to help maintain the best oral health.
Requirement 5[edit | edit source]
Discuss with your merit badge counselor the following:
- A. How fluorides help prevent tooth decay and the ways fluorides can be provided to the teeth.
- B. How the mouth is related to the rest of the body. Topics might include chewing, saliva, enzymes, nutrition, and speech.
Requirement 6[edit | edit source]
Do TWO of the following:
- A. Make a model tooth out of soap, clay, papier-mâché, or wax. Using a string and a large hand brush, show your troop or a school class proper tooth-brushing and flossing procedures.
- B. Make a poster on the prevention of dental disease. Show the importance of good oral health.
- C. Collect at least five advertisements for different toothpastes. List the claims that each one makes. Tell about the accuracy of the advertisements.
- D. Write a feature story for your school newspaper on the proper care of teeth and gums.
- E. Make drawings and write about the progress of dental decay. Describe the types of dental filling and treatments a dentist can use to repair dental decay problems.
Requirement 7[edit | edit source]
Find out about three career opportunities in dentistry. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
[edit | edit source]
- Dentistry Merit Badge with Workbook PDF, current requirements, and resources.
- Common Dental Procedures
- 12 Creative Toothpaste Advertisements
|Earning Merit Badges in the Boy Scouts of America|
|Professions and Trades|
|Animal Science | Architecture | Automotive Maintenance | Dentistry | Drafting | Electronics | Engineering | Farm Mechanics | Game Design | Graphic Arts | Home Repairs | Journalism | Landscape Architecture | Law | Medicine | Metalwork | Plumbing | Programming | Public Health | Pulp and Paper | Salesmanship | Surveying | Textile | Truck Transportation | Veterinary Medicine | Woodwork|