Scouting/BSA/Home Repairs Merit Badge
|The requirements to this merit badge are copyrighted by the Boy Scouts of America. They are reproduced in part here under fair use as a resource for Scouts and Scouters to use in the earning and teaching of merit badges. The requirements published by the Boy Scouts of America should always be used over the list here. If in doubt about the accuracy of a requirement, consult your Merit Badge Counselor.|
|Reading this page does not satisfy any requirement for any merit badge. Per National regulations, the only person who may sign off on requirements is a Merit Badge Counselor, duly registered and authorized by the local Council. To obtain a list of registered Merit Badge Counselors, or to begin a Merit Badge, please contact your Scoutmaster or Council Service Center.|
1. Discuss general precautions related to home repairs. Name at least 10 safe practices that every home repairer should exercise.
2. Under the supervision of your merit badge counselor complete any four of the following: a. How-to:Maintain or recondition a garden tool and show that you know how to clean up, store it and other tools b. How-to:Install insulation in an attic, wall, or crawl space c. How-to:Caulk cracks or joints open to the weather d. How-to:Waterproof a basement e. How-to:Repair a break in a cement or asphalt surface f. How-to:Repair the screen in a window or door g. How-to:Replace a pane of glass h. How-to:Solder a broken wire or metal object
3. Under the supervision of your merit badge counselor complete any three of the following: a. How-to:Install or build equipment for storing tools b. How-to:Build a workbench c. How-to:Repair a piece of furniture d. How-to:Paint or varnish a piece of furniture, a door, or trim on a house and clean the brush e. How-to:Repair a sagging door or gate f. How-to:Repair a loose step g. How-to:Repair a fence
4. Under the supervision of your merit badge counselor complete any two of the following: a. How-to:Locate a main switch box and know how to replace a fuse or reset a circuit breaker b. How-to:Repair an electric cord, plug, or lamp socket c. How-to:Install a single-pole light swich d. How-to:Replace an electrical wall outlet
5. Under the supervision of your merit badge counselor complete any two of the following: a. How-to:Clear a clogged drain or trap b. How-to:Fix a leaky water faucet c. How-to:Repair a flush toilet d. How-to:Repair a leaky hose or connector e. How-to:Clean or replace a sprinkler head
6. Under the supervision of your merit badge counselor complete any three of the following: a. How-to:Paint a wall or ceiling. Clean equipment b. How-to:Repair or replace damaged tile or linoleum c. How-to:Install drapery or curtain rods and hang drapes or curtains d. How-to:Replace window blind cords e. How-to:Repair or replace a window sash cord f. How-to:Reinforce a picture frame g. How-to:Mend an object made of china, glass, or pottery
- Home Repairs Merit Badge with Workbook PDF, current requirements, and resources.
|Earning Merit Badges in the Boy Scouts of America|
|Professions and Trades|
|Animal Science | Architecture | Automotive Maintenance | Dentistry | Drafting | Electronics | Engineering | Farm Mechanics | Graphic Arts | Home Repairs | Journalism | Landscape Architecture | Law | Medicine | Metalwork | Plumbing | Programming | Public Health | Pulp and Paper | Salesmanship | Surveying | Textile | Truck Transportation | Veterinary Medicine | Woodwork|