Scouting/BSA/Basketry Merit Badge
|The requirements to this merit badge are copyrighted by the Boy Scouts of America. They are reproduced in part here under fair use as a resource for Scouts and Scouters to use in the earning and teaching of merit badges. The requirements published by the Boy Scouts of America should always be used over the list here. If in doubt about the accuracy of a requirement, consult your Merit Badge Counselor.|
|Reading this page does not satisfy any requirement for any merit badge. Per National regulations, the only person who may sign off on requirements is a Merit Badge Counselor, duly registered and authorized by the local Council. To obtain a list of registered Merit Badge Counselors, or to begin a Merit Badge, please contact your Scoutmaster or Council Service Center.|
Do the following:
- A. Explain to your counselor the hazards you are most likely to encounter while using basketry tools and materials, and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, and respond to these hazards.
- B. Discuss the prevention of and first-aid treatment for injuries, including cuts, scratches, and scrapes, that could occur while working with basketry tools and materials.
Do the following:
- A. Show your counselor that you are able to identify each of the following types of baskets: plaited, coiled, ribbed, and wicker.
- B. Describe three different types of weaves to your counselor.
Plan and weave each of the following projects:
- A. a square basket;
- B. a round basket; and
- C. a campstool seat.
- Basketry Merit Badge with Workbook PDF, current requirements, and resources.
- Basket Weaving Information on Wikipedia
|Earning Merit Badges in the Boy Scouts of America|
|Indoor Hobbies and Arts and Crafts|
|Art | Basketry | Bugling | Coin Collecting | Collections | Cooking | Dog Care | Fingerprinting | Genealogy | Indian Lore | Leatherwork | Model Design and Building | Moviemaking | Music | Painting | Pets | Photography | Pottery | Programming | Radio | Railroading | Reading | Sculpture | Stamp Collecting | Theater | Wood Carving | Woodwork|