From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- ½ cup (1 stick) of butter
- salt (optional-add only if butter is unsalted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh fruit (peaches, blackberries, cherries, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the butter in a 9½" x 12" deep baking dish. Put dish in oven to melt butter while preparing other ingredients. If butter is unsalted, add a touch of salt to the pan as well.
- Add flour and sugar to a bowl and sift together lightly. Create a 'well' in the center of the mixture and to this pour in the milk. Mix together with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Remove pan from oven. Pour batter into dish on top of melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon the fresh fruit out evenly across the top, but again, do not stir.
- Place cobbler in oven and bake uncovered until golden brown.