Oman is a country that occupies a strategically important location, for which it has long been a prize for empire builders. In the 16th century Muscat was seized by Portugal, which held the city until 1650. More than a century later the Yaʿrubid dynasty drove the Portuguese from the Omani coast, recapturing Muscat in 1650 and then occupying Portuguese settlements in the Persian Gulf and East African coastal regions. Their empire eventually crumbled in a civil war over the succession of the imam in the early 18th century, enabling the Persian ruler Nādir Shāh to invade the country in 1737. During the 18th century the Āl Bū Saʿīd dynasty expelled a Persian occupation and established Omani control over much of the Persian Gulf.
Oman capital city is Muscat and the currency is Rial.
Where is Oman?[edit | edit source]
Oman is located at the south east Arab peninsula which bordering the Persian Gulf and Arabian Sea.It is also share land borders with Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates to its northwest and Yemen to its south west .
How many people live in Oman?[edit | edit source]
As of 2018 census, there are estimated of 4.6million Omanis living there. Over 73% of populations are of Arab meanwhile the rest of 27% are made of Baluchi, South Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi), African.The local natives identifies themselves as Omanis.
What are the most common languages in Oman?[edit | edit source]
Standard Arabic is the common language of the Oman.English and Baluchi are also common language of Oman.
What is the most common religion in Oman?[edit | edit source]
Ibadi Muslim is the most common religion practiced in Oman with 75% of population practicing it. Sunni Muslims made up of 10% and Hindus make up 14 % and other religions count for about 1%.
What is the sport of Oman?[edit | edit source]
Barka bullfighting is traditional Omani sport of bull-butting.
It is a contests are between large Brahma bulls, traditionally fed up on a diet of milk and honey. Animals are matched according to weight and led into the area to do battle, at which point (all being well) they will lock horns – although some bulls just turn around and run away, frantically pursued by their owners. The winning bull is the one which either pushes the other to the ground or forces it to give up its ground. Most fights last less than five minutes, and ropes attached to the bull mean that they can be pulled apart (with difficulty – some of the bulls weigh around a ton) if things start turning ugly.
What are some important sites?[edit | edit source]
Wahiba Sands - Stretching over 125 miles (200 kilometers) from the Eastern Hajar Mountains to the Arabian Sea, the Wahiba Sands (also known as Sharqiyah or Sharqiya Sands) is located in the center of Oman. It is a popular travel destination for those in search of the true, authentic and traditional Oman. It is renowned for its unique desert ecosystem and surprisingly rich biodiversity. Some 180 native species of plants, as well as more than 200 species of animals, can be found in the desert, including vipers, desert hares, sand foxes, and birds.
Nakhal Fort - Located at Al-Batina. This is one of the most beautiful castles in the world. It has got a very balanced spectacular on the rocky surface of the Western Hajar. This fort is standing at 200 meter up at the Hajar Mountains . It is estimated to be built during pre-Islamic era between the 3rd to 10th century.
The most unique features of Nakhal Fort is that it does not follow any uniform shape. The shape of the fort instead follows the irregular outline of the massive boulder on which the fort is built. This boulder elevates the fort above ground and gives the fort its magnificence. The fort has been expanded and renovated by many of the rulers of Oman throughout history, the oldest record of improvement to the fort is during the time ofÂ Imam Salt bin Malik Al Kharusi in the 9th century, it was later expanded during the reign of other Omani tribes such as the Yahmadi tribe, the Nabhani tribe, and the Yarubi tribe.
Nizwa Fort - It is an amazing example of old Omani architecture that provides an illustration of the way Omani people used to live in ancient times. The oldest part of Nizwa Fort was originally constructed by imam Al Sult bin Malik Al Kharusi in the ninth century and was later renovated by imam Sultan bin Saif Al Yarubi in the 17th century. It is unique among other forts in Oman due to the cylindrical shape of its main tower which also happens to be the biggest to tower in a fort in Oman. Nizwa Fort has seven wells, a number of prisons, and prosecution ground. The main tower features many defense mechanisms Omanis used in the past such as pitfalls, honey traps, and gun shooting windows.