Cookbook:Strawberry Shortcut Cake
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is one of those recipes from the 70s with lots of already-processed ingredients. I love it. It's very moist because the syrupy strawberry mixture starts on top and soaks through as the cake bakes.
- 1 c mini marshmallows
- 2 c (2 10 oz. packages) frozen, sliced strawberries, completely thawed in syrup
- 1 pkg (3 oz) strawberry jello (gelatin) (known as jelly outside of North America)
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1 c milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Generously grease bottom of pan (13" x 9").
- Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over bottom of pan.
- Thoroughly combine completely thawed strawberries and syrup with dry jello; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Pour batter over marshmallows - spread out. Spoon strawberry mixture evenly over batter.
- Bake 350 deg 45-60 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool with ice cream or whipped cream.