Rhubarb may be an intimidatingly tart vegetable eaten on its own, but when its sharp flavor is tempered with the addition of butter and sugar, it makes excellent desserts such as the cake recipe below.
- 1 1/2 C. raw sliced thin rhubarb
- 1 1/2 C. brown sugar
- 1/2 C butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 C. sour milk or buttermilk
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 C. flour
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Cream the brown sugar and butter, add egg and salt.
- Stir in the milk, soda, vanilla, and flour. After blended add the rhubarb and stir till mixed in.
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan and sprinkle top with mixture of 1/4 C. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon that has been mixed together.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.