Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Servings||ca. 60 pieces|
|Time||1 hour prep, 10 minutes cook|
- 12 oz. (340 g) pasta dough or
- 1 package of won-ton wrappers (available in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
- Divide the pasta dough (prepared according to the recipe Pasta Fresca All'uovo) into four equal pieces.
- Roll out one of these portions until it is about a 1/16-inch thick rectangle.
- Roll out another the same size. Cover with a damp tea towel.
- Place about 1 tablespoonful of filling about every two inches across and down the rectangle of dough in a checker-board pattern.
- With a wet pastry brush or your index finger, paint lines down between the mounds of filling in a chequer-board pattern.
- Carefully place the other sheet of pasta on top of the other one and press down around the mounds of filling firmly.
- With a sharp knife, pizza wheel or pastry cutter, cut the ravioli into individual squares.
- Crimp the edges with a fork. Besides being decorative, this ensures that they are well sealed.
- Process the other two portions of dough in the same way.
- Alternative methods:
- Cut 3-inch diameter circles with a biscuit cutter, OR take one won-ton wrapper.
- Place a tablespoon of filling in the centre of a pasta circle or won-ton wrapper, wet the edges and cover with another circle, OR
- Place 1½ teaspoon of filling in the centre of a pasta circle or won-ton wrapper.
- Fold over one edge of the circle (or won-ton wrapper) to the other edge to form a semi-circular shaped raviolo.
- Crimp the edges
- Gently drop the ravioli into 1½ to 2 gallons of gently boiling salted water. If boiling is too vigorous, the ravioli may break open.
- Stir gently with a heat-proof spatula to prevent sticking. Contrary to the dictates of purists, you may add a little olive oil to the water if you wish.
- Simmer the ravioli for about 8 minutes or until tender but not soft.
- Off the heat, remove the ravioli gently with a slotted spoon or a spider.
- Drain in a colander.
- Serve with tomato sauce, or with melted butter and Parmesan cheese.