Cookbook:Quick Oat Bread
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Quick Oat Bread|
Quick Oat Bread
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1⅓ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oats
- 1 cup minus 2 Tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 9-by-5 loaf pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, yogurt, egg, oil and honey, then stir in milk until combined.
- Pour oat mixture over flour mixture and gently stir until just combined and flour is no longer visible.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until a wood pick tests clean.
- During the last few minutes of baking, tent with foil to prevent over-browning if needed.
- Let bread stand in the pan 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool.
- Serve slightly warm.
Tips, Notes, and Variations[edit | edit source]
- One manufacturer of white whole wheat flour is King Arthur brand.
- To avoid compacting the flour while measuring it, spoon the flour into the measuring cup instead of digging it down into the flour. Then run a flat knife over the top edge of the cup to scrape off the excess.