Jump to navigation Jump to search
Pumpkin Roll is a traditional holiday dessert that's lovely to serve. The filling keeps the cake moist. This dessert can be prepared and kept frozen before the holidays.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 8-oz. package of cream cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Procedure for Cake
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Mix sugar, eggs, and canned pumpkin in a large bowl until well blended.
- Using a second bowl, mix flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Fold dry mixture into larger bowl with pumpkin mixture.
- Apply non-stick cooking spray or smear cooking oil onto shallow rimmed cooked sheet.
- Line rectangular cookie sheet with greased parchment paper or waxed paper. Make sure to extend over the sides of the cookie sheet.
- Pour batter evenly onto the lined cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle batter with the chopped pecans.
- Bake at 375 °F for 15 minutes.
Procedure for Filling
- Do not mix in approximately 1/8 cup of the powdered sugar; it will be used later.
- To make the filling, whip cream cheese, vanilla, butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Set aside.
Procedure for Assembly
- Lay a clean dish towel on a flat kitchen surface.
- Evenly sprinkle towel with the powdered sugar that was set aside earlier.
- Once the cake has been completely baked and before cooled, flip onto the towel with the powdered sugar.
- Loosely roll cake until cooled to allow cake to set.
- Once cooled, unroll cake.
- Spread filling over cake.
- Roll cake again, but without dish towel.
- Wrap in foil and freeze.
- Once frozen, remove foil and cut into slices while still frozen.
- Any chopped nuts may be substituted.