Cookbook:Original Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The original Dole recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 large can pineapple, crushed or sliced
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup and 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Maraschino cherries, to garnish
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Drain the juice from 1 large can of either Crushed or Sliced Pineapple.
- Sift 2 cups flour. Sift again with 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cream 1/2 cup butter or substitute, gradually add 1 cup sugar; cream well.
- Beat yolks and whites of 2 eggs separately. Add yolks to creamed mixture; mix well, then add flour and 1/2 cup milk alternately, mixing well.
- Fold the 2 beaten egg whites and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large frying pan.
- Spread 1 cup of brown sugar over pan.
- Add pineapple (if sliced is used, place slices closely together on the sugar; if Crushed, simply pour in the well-drained fruit).
- Pour cake batter over fruit.
- Bake 45 minutes (at 350 degrees).
- Turn upside-down on serving dish and garnish with maraschino cherries.
Notes, tips and variations[edit | edit source]
- The Cookbook has other pineapple upside-down cake recipes.