Cookbook:Original Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Original Pineapple Upside-Down Cake|
|Time||Prep: 30 minutes|
Baking: 45 minutes
The original Dole recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 large can (~397 grams (14.0 oz)) pineapple, crushed or sliced
- 2 cups (275 grams (9.7 oz)) flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup (160 grams (5.6 oz)) butter
- 1 cup (225 grams (7.9 oz)) sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- ½ cup (125 milliliters (4.2 US fl oz)) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (180 grams (6.3 oz)) brown sugar
- Maraschino cherries, to garnish
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Drain the juice from the can of either crushed or sliced pineapple.
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Sift again with baking powder and salt.
- Cream 1/2 cup (125 grams (4.4 oz)) butter or substitute in another bowl, then gradually add sugar; cream well.
- Beat the yolks and whites of eggs separately. Add the yolks to creamed mixture and mix well, then add flour and milk alternately, mixing well.
- Fold in the egg whites and vanilla.
- Melt the rest of butter in large frying pan.
- Spread the brown sugar over pan.
- Add pineapple (if sliced is used, place slices closely together on the sugar; if Crushed, simply pour in the well-drained fruit).
- Pour cake batter over fruit.
- Bake 45 minutes (at 350 °F (177 °C)).
- Turn upside-down on serving dish and garnish with maraschino cherries.
Notes, tips and variations[edit | edit source]
- The Cookbook has other pineapple upside-down cake recipes.