(Redirected from Cookbook:Mille Crêpe)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lemon Butter Cream
- 3 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg
- 75g (4 Tbs.) castor sugar
- 40g (4 Tbs.) plain (all-purpose) flour
- zest and juice of 3 large lemons,
- 275 ml (1¼ cups) milk
- Unroll the pastry on a lightly floured surface.
- Trim the pastry so that you are left with a rectangle approximately 23 x 25.5 cm.
- Roll out the larger piece of pastry to a 30cm square, make sure you use a very even, gentle pressure on the rolling pin so that you end up with nice even edges.
- Grease the baking sheet and use a rolling pin to transfer the pastry to the baking sheet.
- Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork. Brush the pastry all over with the beaten egg.
- Place the baking sheet on a high shelf in the preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes (a very crisp finish is need).
- Then to get it really extra crisp, preheat the oven to its highest setting, sift 1 teaspoon of the icing sugar all over the pastry, flash it under the grill.
- Remove from the grill and, using a sharp knife, cut the square into three equal strips.
- Turn them over, sift over the rest of the icing and then flash them under the grill again.
- Once it has cooled on the wire rack, the pastry is ready to use and can be stored in a polythene box, each layer separated with greaseproof paper.
Lemon Butter Cream
- Place the egg yolks and whole egg into a nice roomy bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the eggs together with the castor sugar until the mixture is pale, thick and creamy (4-5 minutes). Add the milk as you mix.
- Sift the flour onto the mixture and whisk again until smooth.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Place a pastry strip on the plate, and cover with half the lemon creme.
- Put the second pastry strip on the creme, and cover with the remaining lemon creme.
- Finally, add the final pastry strip.