Cookbook:Frosting and Icing
Frostings and icings are types of sweet, smooth toppings generally used to coat a variety of desserts.
Terminology[edit | edit source]
Generally speaking, the terms frosting and icing are used interchangeably in common speech and by some cooks. However, a distinction can be made, usually based on the consistency—frosting tends to be thicker, fluffier, and more opaque, while icing tends to be thinner with a lower fat content. Additionally, glazes are very thin, often shiny coatings that are poured over or brushed onto desserts.
Types[edit | edit source]
Frosting[edit | edit source]
- Cream cheese frosting
- Foam frosting
- Seven-minute frosting
Icing[edit | edit source]
- Flat/water icing
- Royal icing
- Fondant icing
- Fudge icing
Glaze[edit | edit source]
- Mirror glaze
Use[edit | edit source]
Frostings and icings have a range of uses, including protecting desserts from drying out, contributing flavor and texture, and adding aesthetic value. They can also be used as fillings, especially when flavored. Be sure to pair the appropriate coating to a dessert—heavy with heavy and light with light.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Cupcakes topped with buttercream
Éclairs with fondant icing
Donuts with a thin glaze
Donut topped with flat icing
Cookie with royal icing
Cake with fudgy sour cream icing
Recipes[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Gisslen, Wayne (2016-09-21). Professional Baking. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-1-119-14844-9.
- "Frosting and Icing: What's the Difference Between These Two Sweet Toppings?". Martha Stewart. Retrieved 2023-05-09.
- "The Difference Between Frosting, Icing and Glaze". The Pioneer Woman. 2020-04-10. Retrieved 2023-05-09.
- Delk, Lindsay (2022-09-05). "Frosting vs. Icing: The Differences and Best Uses for Each". Lively Table. Retrieved 2023-05-09.
- Gisslen, Wayne (2015-03-12). Essentials of Professional Cooking, 2nd Edition. Wiley Global Education. ISBN 978-1-119-03072-0.
- Labensky, Sarah; Martel, Priscilla; Damme, Eddy Van (2015-01-06). On Baking: A Textbook of Baking and Pastry Fundamentals, Updated Edition. Pearson Education. ISBN 978-0-13-388675-7.