Cookbook:The Original Sacher Torte
(Redirected from The Original Sacher Torte)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|The Original Sacher Torte|
This is the original Sachertorte recipe, obtained through the courtesy of Mrs Anna Sacher.
- ¾ cup (170 g) butter;
- 6 ½ oz (180 g) semi-sweet chocolate;
- ¾ cup (170 g) sugar;
- 8 egg yolks;
- 1 cup (120 g) flour;
- 10 egg whites, stiffly beaten;
- 2 tbs. apricot jam;
- 1 cup (225 g) sugar;
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) water;
- 7 oz. (200 g) semi-sweet chocolate;
- Preheat the oven to 275°F (140°C or Gas Mark).
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Melt chocolate. Add sugar and chocolate to butter; stir.
- Add egg yolks one at a time. Add flour. Fold in egg whites. Grease and butter 8-9" cake tin. Pour mixture in.
- Bake in oven about 1 hour. Test with toothpick or straw. Remove to a board; cool. Cut the top off and turn bottom up.
- Heat apricot jam slightly and spread over top. Cover with chocolate icing, prepared as follows: Cook sugar and water to a thin thread.
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler.
- Add sugar gradually to chocolate.
- Stir constantly until icing coats the spoon.
- Pour on top of cake.
- [Viennese Cooking, O. & A. Hess, adapted for American use [Crown Publishing: New York] 1952 (p. 229)]