Plastics Molding & Manufacturing
- 1 Foreword
- 2 Chapter 1: A Brief History of Plastic Manufacturing
- 3 Chapter 2: Type of Plastic Process
- 4 Chapter 3:Plastic Material
- 5 Chapter 4:Injection Moulding Machine
- 6 Chapter 5: Moulds for plastics
- 7 Chapter 6:Injection Mold Cycles
- 8 Chapter 7:Injection Mould Process Control
- 9 Chapter 8:Defects Occurs In Plastic Moulding Process
Many of the modern products that are a part of everyday life have gone unnoticed because they are commonly used until little thoughts are given to their existence. Have a look around in your home , workplace and such and probably you will find many things are made from plastics from small toys to the automobiles. In short, plastic play a vital role in the modern world.
The first injection moulding was invented by John and Isaiah Hyatt in 1872. The earliest of injection moulding resembles a large hypodermic needles with heated cylinder on back which forces the heated gooey materials into the awaiting mould.
Nowadays, the technology have matured and allowed for different formulations and techniques for injection moulding. Injection moulding method are suitable if there is a large number of parts are to be produced. The only disadvantages are the initial start up costs especially the injection moulding machine as well as tooling for the mould.
Below are the advantages of using plastic injection moulding:
- High volume of mass productions rate can be achieved
- Repeatibility of the injection moulded parts with high tolerances
- Minimal material loss as the runner can be regrind to be used as recycled materials
- Wide range of materials can be available for specific applications
- Labour costs can be saved as for most automated injection moulding with robotic pickup arms: 1 operator can operate 4 injection moulding
Therefore from this Handbook of Plasting Molding and Manufacturing, it is hope that you will gain an quick overview on the plastic moulding and manufacturings.
Chapter 1: A Brief History of Plastic Manufacturing
Chapter 2: Type of Plastic Process
Chapter 3:Plastic Material
Chapter 4:Injection Moulding Machine
Chapter 5: Moulds for plastics
The moulds and the mould making operation are one of the most important parts of the injection moulding process
Chapter 6:Injection Mold Cycles
In each injection molding cycles, there are 4 phases namely:
Chapter 7:Injection Mould Process Control
In Chapter 6, we will learn the key parameters to ensure the moulded plastics is of consistent quality
- Temperature Control
- Pressure Control
- Position Control
- Time Control
- Quiz : Plastic Moulding Process Control
Chapter 8:Defects Occurs In Plastic Moulding Process
In Chapter 7, the common defects for moulding process usually causes from machine, mold, material and man (operator). In this section, we will learn the causes of these defects as well as solutions to solve this problems.