Cookbook:Ukrainian Cornmeal Stuffing (Nachynka)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Ukrainian Cornmeal Stuffing (Nachynka)|
Nachynka in Ukrainian literally means stuffing. This dish is usually not stuffed inside anything, but served as a side dish.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- ½ cup (125 g / 4.4 oz) butter
- 1 cup (140 g / 4.9 oz) cornmeal
- 3 cups (750 ml / 1.6 pints) homogenized milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Melt butter in a pot on medium heat.
- Add cornmeal. Stir mixture to warm up the cornmeal.
- Add milk. Stir until mixture has thickened.
- Beat eggs. Beat in salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Slowly add some of the thickened cornmeal mixture to the egg mixture while mixing to temper the eggs.
- Stir the egg mixture into the rest of the cornmeal.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30–40 minutes or until the top has browned.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- While you are thickening the cornmeal mixture, you have enough time to beat the eggs.
- Doubling the recipe will yield enough to fill a 2 litre casserole dish.
- For different flavour variations:
- Mix in a ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Chop up a small onion and cook till tender in the butter, before adding cornmeal.
Warnings[edit | edit source]
- Do not add the egg mixture to the cornmeal. Some of the eggs will cook on impact resulting in streaks of cooked eggs and a heavier Nachynka.