Cookbook:Tomato Basil Soup with Garlic Toasts
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 18 oz. tomato juice
- 2 large bunches fresh basil
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 on the bias (1/2 inch thick) slices either French bread or Italian bread
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs kosher salt, divided
- 1 tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- An immersion blender
- A toaster oven
- A basting brush
- Combine paste, juice, cream, broth, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper, and diced tomatoes in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has reduced by 1/3.
- Using an immersion blender, pureé soup until smooth. Keep warm over low heat.
- Toast bread slices in the toaster oven. The second they come out, brush slices with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic and remaining salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add basil leaves to tomato pureé and let steep for 5 minutes over low heat. Remove leaves.
- Garnish individual bowls with sprigs of basil and serve warm with garlic toast.