Cookbook:Rhubarb and Custard Bread Pudding
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Rhubarb and Custard Bread Pudding|
|Serving Size:||1/8 of recipe (250 g)|
|Servings Per Recipe:||8|
|Amount per serving|
|Calories from fat||153|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||60 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
Rhubarb and custard pudding is a recipe adapted from page 21 of the February 2023 edition of Tesco's magazine.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- ½ cup (125 ml/4.2 fl oz) water
- ⅔ cup (150 g/5.3 oz) superfine sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 400 g (14 oz) rhubarb, trimmed and chopped into 3–4 cm (1.2–1.6 in) pieces
- 2½ cups (625 ml/1.32 pints) milk
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon (100 ml/3.4 US fl oz) heavy cream, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ stick (80 g/2.8 oz) butter
- 10 slices thick-sliced white sandwich bread, crusts removed and cut into triangles
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar, to serve
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C (320 °F).
- Heat the water and ¼ cup (60 g/2.1 oz) of sugar in a large frying pan over medium heat until the syrup bubbles.
- Add the rhubarb and simmer for 3 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove the heat and set aside to soak.
- Heat the milk, cream and vanilla in a saucepan over a low heat until small bubbles appear.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining sugar, custard powder, and eggs in a heatproof bowl.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking as you go to temper it.
- Grease a 30-by−20 cm (12-by−7.9 in), deep baking pan. Butter the bread slices.
- Lay the bread slices in the baking pan, overlapping them slightly. Distribute the rhubarb on top, reserving the rhubarb syrup.
- Pour in the custard to cover the bread slices. Soak for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the bread puffs up.
- Scatter over 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Increase temperature to 180 °C (356 °F) and bake for 5 more minutes until golden.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve optionally with rhubarb syrup and cream.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Rhubarb And Custard Bread And Butter Pudding Recipe | Dessert Recipes". Tesco Real Food. Retrieved 2023-04-21.