Cookbook:Queen of Puddings
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Queen of Puddings|
This favourite English pudding is a baked bread pudding with a an apricot glaze and a soft meringue topping.
- 2 cups milk
- 3 oz. (1/2 cup / 85g) sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 oz. (4 Tbs. / 55g) butter
- 6 oz. (about 4 cups / 170g) freshly grated bread crumbs.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 Tbs. raspberry jam, or jam of choice
- 2 Tbs. vanilla sugar
- Heat the milk, sugar, lemon zest and butter until just below the boil.
- Pour onto the bread crumbs and allow the whole to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks and stir into the bread crumb and milk mixture.
- Bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and after it has cooled for 10 minutes, spread the top with the warmed jam, being careful not to break the surface of the pudding.
- Whisk the egg whites with the vanilla sugar and a few drops of lemon juice to soft peaks.
- Spread the meringue over the top of the pudding. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the meringue has browned.
- Serve as is or with crème anglaise.