Cookbook:Queen of Puddings
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Queen of Puddings|
Queen of puddings is a favourite English bread pudding served with an apricot glaze and a soft meringue topping.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 cups milk
- 3 oz (½ cup / 85 g) sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 oz (4 Tbsp / 55 g) butter
- 6 oz (about 4 cups / 170 g) freshly-grated bread crumbs
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 Tbsp raspberry jam, or jam of choice
- 2 Tbsp vanilla sugar
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Heat the milk, sugar, lemon zest and butter until just below the boil.
- Pour onto the bread crumbs and allow the whole to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks and stir into the bread crumb and milk mixture.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread the top with the warmed jam, being careful not to break the surface of the pudding.
- Whip the egg whites with the vanilla sugar and a few drops of lemon juice until the mixture reaches soft peaks.
- Spread the meringue over the top of the pudding. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the meringue has browned.
- Serve as is or with crème anglaise.