Cookbook:Pigeon Pea and Fenugreek Curry (Methi Tadka Dal)
|Pigeon Pea and Fenugreek Curry (Methi Tadka Dal)|
|Category||Side dish recipes|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- Redgram (toor dal) - ½ cup
- Water - 2 cups
- 2 handfuls of methi leaves (Only the leaves without the tender stem)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 big onion
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- One/Two green chilli, sliced
- 10 whole black pepper.
- One small dollop of butter
- Small piece of ginger (if you like Ginger)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
Mix all above and put them in an Indian cooker (pressure cooker). Wait until the dal is cooked ( 4 whistles ).
Heat two spoons of ghee, and fry
- half small spoon of mustard seeds
- half small spoon of zheera (cumin)
- two sliced garlic cloves
- two red chillis
- 6 to 8 curry leaves
This takes less than 30 seconds to fry. Once garlic turns golden, add one small tomato finely chopped. Add salt, chilli powder to your taste. Add "Coriander or Dhaniya powder". I would recommend this. Add the above cooked Dal Mix to this fry, and let it simmer. You can add water if you like it to be more like gravy. Add two drops of lemon juice for added taste.
Eat this with hot rice, and an optional touch of Gongura pickle.