Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This Cookbook page needs work. Please . See the talk page for discussion regarding improvements. |
The following reason was given: This recipe is missing some ingredients and procedure
|Servings||Makes Six Rolls |
About 10 Servings Per Roll
|Time||Prep: ~ 4 Hours |
Baking: ~ 40 Minutes
An Eastern European dessert that goes by many various names, but is often translated as Nut Roll in English. This variation is a traditional Slovakian version of walnuts, and coffee.
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1 cup (240g) Sugar
- ½ (120g) cup butter
- ½ pound (225g) shortening
- 8 cups (1900g) flour
- 2 cups (480ml) scalded milk
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 1½ tsp. Vanilla
- 3 envelopes dry yeast
Nut Filling Ingredients
- 4 cups of ground walnuts
- 1 cup of gram cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs beaten into evaporated milk.
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup lukewarm milk. Mix well.
- Add sugar, shortening, and salt to mixture; cool.
- Beat egg slightly and add to mix. Then add yeast.
- Put 1/2 of flour in a bowl, add lukewarm mixture to flour slowly. Mix well.
- Add the second half of flour so as to knead without sticking.
- Cover and place somewhere warm; let rise until double in bulk (approximately 2 hours).
- Knead dough slightly to get out puffiness.
- Divide into 6 parts; let stand 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough, spread with Nut Filling Mixture. Roll bread tightly so mixture forms a "swirl"
- Place bread on a greased baking sheet; let rise for 1 hour.
- Brush top of each roll with slightly beaten egg.
- Bake in 350 Degrees (180c) oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, brush with melted butter.
- Nut Roll freezes well up to six months after being baked.