Cookbook:Mango and Yellow Split Pea Curry
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Mango and Yellow Split Pea Curry|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Indian Cuisine | Vegetarian
Mango Dal also known as Amchur Dal is a vegetarian dish from Southern India which is also popular in the West. The dish is popular amongst vegetarians and persons who wish to limit the amount of meat in their diet.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup of toor dal (yellow split peas)
- 2 cans mango (or fresh mango if available)
- 1 teaspoon of hing
- 1 teaspoon of fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon of Coriander
- 1 teaspoon of ghee
- 1 clove of galangal or ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 3 teaspoons of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 2 teaspoons of mustard seeds
- 1 onion
- 8 curry leaves
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Soak Dal over night.
- Boil dal in water.
- Wash boiled dal, drain, and keep in separate container.
- Cut mango slices and boil mangoes with mango juice.
- Add boiled dal and add additional water if required.
- In a separate pan Dice and sauté onions with oil in garlic and ginger or galangal paste until golden brown.
- In a separate pan mix ghee, hing, cardamom, turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder, mustard seeds, and cumin.
- Add all mixtures together in boiling mango and dal pot.
- Add fenugreek leaves, and continue boiling.
- Allow to cool and serve with rotis or naan and rice.