Cookbook:Kulfi (South Asian Frozen Custard)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Kulfi (South Asian Frozen Custard)|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 4 cups milk
- 8 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground green cardamom seeds
- 1 tbsp pistachios, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp almonds, thinly sliced (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Put the milk into a wide, heavy pan, and bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and cook the milk, stirring constantly until it has thickened and reduced to ¾ cup—this will take about 40–45 minutes. Stir the sides of the pan constantly to avoid scorching.
- Stir in the sugar, nuts, and cardamom powder. Set aside to cool.
- Pour the mixture evenly into kulfi moulds or small ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap or foil, and freeze for about 6 hours until set.
- To serve, run a sharp knife dipped in hot water along the sides of the moulds, and unmold them onto a serving plate.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- Kulfi can be prepared in many different flavours. This can be done by substituting the ingredients (with the exception of milk and sugar) with rose flavoring or fruits (mango, strawberry, banana, or other tropical fruits). The amount of sugar can also be altered to suit your taste.