Cookbook:Italian Rice Pudding
|Italian Rice Pudding|
Italian Rice Pudding
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup risotto rice (plump, medium grain rice that contains a lot of starch, the types Arborio or Carnaroli are traditionally best. Other rices that work well are Roma, Nano, Maratelli, and Vialone.)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece of lemon peel
- ground cinnamon to garnish
- Bring water to a boil, add rice, salt, and butter
- Cover, lower heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Place rice in upper part of double boiler with half and half, sugar, cinnamon stick, and lemon peel.
- Bring to boil over direct heat.
- Place over simmering water in double boiler and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick and lemon peel.
- Pour rice mixture into a 2-quart casserole and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon powder.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Best at room temperature or slightly warm.