Cookbook:Italian Rice Pudding
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Italian cuisine | Vegetarian Cuisine | Rice | Dessert
|Italian Rice Pudding|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 cups (500 ml/1.1 pint) water
- 1 cup (110 g/3.9 oz) risotto rice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups (750 ml/1.6 US pt) half and half
- 1 cup (225 g/7.9 oz) sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece of lemon peel
- Ground cinnamon to garnish
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Bring water to a boil, then add rice, salt, and butter.
- Cover, lower heat to simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Place rice in upper part of double boiler with half and half, sugar, cinnamon stick, and lemon peel.
- Bring to boil over direct heat.
- Place over simmering water in double boiler and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick and lemon peel.
- Pour rice mixture into a 2-quart (1.9 L) casserole and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon powder.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- The rice should be plump, medium grain rice that contains a lot of starch, like Arborio or Carnaroli. Other rices that work well are Roma, Nano, Maratelli, and Vialone.
- Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Best at room temperature or slightly warm.