Cookbook:Irish fruit cake
|Irish fruit cake|
|Servings||6 to 8|
|Time||≈2 hours + cooling time|
This is a variation of fruit cake that originated in Ireland.
- 1 lb cake flour
- A pinch of salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz sultanas or golden raisins
- 6 oz sugar
- 6 oz butter
- 2 oz citrus peel
- 2 oz dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cream butter and sugar, this may take 5-10 min.
- Add eggs individually, incorporating each fully before adding the next.
- Fold in fruits then the dry mixture.
- Turn on to a greased and lined 8 inch cake pin.
- Bake on the center rack for 75-90 minutes. (Check for doneness after 60 minutes.)
- Let cake cool to room temperature in pan.
- Remove to a wire tray, cover with towel and allow to sit until completely cool.
- This particular version of the recipe does not include whiskey. If you were to add it, it would be added along with the butter and sugar. Approximately one quart should be used.
- This recipe uses raisins and cherries but apples, strawberries, or raspberries can be substituted.