Cookbook:Irish Fruit Cake
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Dessert | Cake
|Irish Fruit Cake|
|Time||about 2 hours + cooling time|
This is a variation of fruit cake that originated in Ireland.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 lb cake flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz sultanas or golden raisins
- 6 oz sugar
- 6 oz butter
- 2 oz citrus peel
- 2 oz dried cherries
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cream together butter and sugar; this may take 5–10 minutes.
- Beat in eggs individually, incorporating each fully before adding the next.
- Fold in fruits then the dry mixture.
- Transfer batter to a greased and parchment-lined 8-inch cake pan.
- Bake on the center rack for 75–90 minutes. Check for doneness after 60 minutes.
- Let cake cool to room temperature in pan.
- Remove to a wire tray, cover with towel, and allow to sit until completely cool.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- This particular version of the recipe does not include whiskey. If you were to add it, it would be added along with the butter and sugar. Approximately 1 quart should be used.
- This recipe uses raisins and cherries but apples, strawberries, or raspberries can be substituted.