Cookbook:Indulgent Chocolate Torte
|Indulgent Chocolate Torte|
|Servings||Not nearly enough|
|Time||Prep 30 minutes|
Bake 35-40 minutes
Final Prep 1 hour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease a 9x3-inch springform pan.
- Heat chocolate chips and margarine in a two-quart saucepan over medium heat until chocolate chips are melted; cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Stir in egg yolks until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl on high speed until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until soft peaks form.
- Fold chocolate mixture into egg whites.
- Spread in greased a 9x3-inch springform pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top of cake appears dry and cracked; cool 10 minutes.
- Run knife along side of cake to loosen, remove side of pan. Cook cake completely.
- Place on serving plate.
- Spread top of cake with chocolate glaze; drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Garnish with chocolate curls and pecans.
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon margarine or butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 teaspoons boiling water boil
- Heat chocolate and margarine over low heat until melted.
- Blend in powdered sugar and water until smooth.
- Stir in additional boiling water, ½ teaspoon at a time, until of drizzling consistency.
Makes about ½ cup glaze.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat all ingredients to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
Makes about 1¾ cup sauce.
Easy Chocolate Curls
The curls will be easier to make if the chocolate is slightly warm, so let the chocolate stand in a warm place for about 15 minutes before making curls. Semi-sweet chocolate can be used, but the curls will be small. Also, the thicker the bar of chocolate, the larger your curls will be.
- Place a bar or block of chocolate on waxed paper. Make chocolate curls by pulling a vegetable peeler toward you across the flattest side of the chocolate, pressing firmly in long, thin strokes. Small curls can be made by using the side of the chocolate bar.
- Transfer each curl carefully with a toothpick to wax-lined cookie sheet or directly onto frosted cake, pie or other dessert.