Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 cups cooked hominy grits
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 standard eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl combine grits, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, butter, and sugar.
- In another bowl beat 2 eggs thoroughly, then add milk and mix together completely.
- Add egg and milk mixture to dry ingredients.
- Grease a large baking dish or 2 loaf pans. Pour mixture into pan(s).
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, until golden brown and a knife inserted in the bread comes out clean.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- This bread is best eaten warm for breakfast with butter or honey.