Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Cookbook:Golden Corn Bread)
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | American cuisine | Bread | Vegetarian Cuisine
Cornbread is a type of quick bread made of cornmeal and sometimes supplemented with wheat flour. Some variations may include whole corn kernels.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup (140 g / 4.9 oz) cornmeal
- 1 cup (140 g / 4.9 oz) all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (250 ml / 8.5 fl oz) milk
- 1 ea. (50 g) egg
- ¼ cup (60 g / 2.1 oz) shortening, melted
- ¼ cup (55 g / 1.9 oz) sugar (optional)
- ½ of a 15-ounce (430 g) can whole corn kernels, drained (optional)
- ¼ ea. onion, finely chopped (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (218 °C). Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) baking pan.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, milk, and shortening.
- Beat until fairly smooth (about a minute).
- If using corn and/or onion, fold in these ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If corn is added to batter, increase time by ~50%
- Serve hot!