(Redirected from Cookbook:Cinnamon roll)
|Time||Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 15-20 minutes
A cinnamon roll is also known as cinnamon bun, cinnamon swirl and cinnamon snail.
Pastry Based on flour 2 cups all-purpose flour 250 100% 4 teaspoons baking powder 18.4 7.36% 1 teaspoon salt 6 2.4% 1/2 cup shortening 102.5 41% 3/4 cup milk [note 2] 183 73.2% Formula 559.9 223.96% Filling [note 3] Based on sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar 165 76.74% 1/4 cup white sugar 50 23.26% 2 teaspoons cinnamon 5.2 2.42% Pinch of salt 0.375 0.17% 1 tablespoon butter, melted 14.2 6.6% Formula 234.775 109.2% Topping [note 4] Based on sugar 1 cup icing sugar 120 100% 1 tablespoon liquid (cream is recommended, milk and water also work) 15 12.5% Formula 135 112.5%
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt
- Cut-in shortening
- Add the milk, stirring with a knife until the dough is soft and slightly sticky
- Knead the dough until it "springs back" when you push your hand into it
- Roll the dough into a 9" by 13" (23 cm by 30 cm) rectangle (use a 9" by 13" (23 cm by 30 cm) baking pan as a mould for the size)
- Brush butter over the dough, leaving about ¼" (0.75 cm) around the edges clear
- Combine brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and salt
- Sprinkle on buttered dough, leaving about ¼" (0.75 cm) around the edges clear
- Press the sugar mixture down
- Roll the dough lengthwise, as tight as you can
- Trim the edges and cut into 8 pieces
- Arrange the rolls in a small pan, so that all the rolls are touching
- Bake at 410°F (210ºC) for 15-20 minutes
- Combine icing sugar and cream
- Whisk them together
- Spread the mixture on the rolls when they have finished baking
- Weight conversions from USDA National Nutrient Database. Original recipe ingredient order preserved. Presumed whole milk of 3.25% milkfat. Pinch defined as 1/16 tsp.
- Baker's percentage is high and dough may be too soft to easily manage.
- Brown sugar presumed as packed.
- Icing or powdered sugar not specified as sifted or unsifted, presumed unsifted. Used light cream, also known as coffee or table cream for conversion.