Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Time||Prep: 20 minutes|
Cooking: 15-20 minutes
A cinnamon bun (or a cinnamon roll) is a type of pastry made with cinnamon, sugar and butter.
Pastry Based on flour 2 cups all-purpose flour 250 100% 4 teaspoons baking powder 18.4 7.36% 1 teaspoon salt 6 2.4% 1/2 cup shortening 102.5 41% 3/4 cup milk [note 2] 183 73.2% Formula 559.9 223.96% Filling [note 3] Based on sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar 165 76.74% 1/4 cup white sugar 50 23.26% 2 teaspoons cinnamon 5.2 2.42% Pinch of salt 0.375 0.17% 1 tablespoon butter, melted 14.2 6.6% Formula 234.775 109.2% Topping [note 4] Based on sugar 1 cup icing sugar 120 100% 1 tablespoon liquid (cream is recommended, milk and water also work) 15 12.5% Formula 135 112.5%
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut-in shortening.
- Add the milk, stirring with a knife until the dough is soft and slightly sticky.
- Knead the dough until it "springs back" when you push your hand into it.
- Roll the dough into a 9" by 13" (23cm by 30cm) rectangle. Use a 9" by 13" (23cm by 30cm) baking pan as a mould for the size.
- Brush butter over the dough, leaving about 1/4" (0.75cm) around the edges clear.
- Combine brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle on buttered dough, leaving about 1/4" around the edges clear.
- Press the sugar mixture down. Roll the dough lengthwise, as tight as you can.
- Trim the edges, cut into eight pieces.
- Arrange the buns in a small pan, so that all the buns are touching. Bake at 425°F (210c) for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine icing sugar and liquid. Whisk together, spread on buns after they have cooled.
- Weight conversions from USDA National Nutrient Database. Original recipe ingredient order preserved. Presumed whole milk of 3.25% milkfat. Pinch defined as 1/16 tsp.
- Baker's percentage is high and dough may be too soft to easily manage.
- Brown sugar presumed as packed. Filling sugar weight is 86% of dough's flour weight.
- Icing or powdered sugar presumed as unsifted. Icing sugar weight is 48% of dough's flour weight.