Cookbook:Black Bean Chili
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Black Bean Chili|
- 3½ cups (8dL) dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) corn oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle chile
- ¼ ancho chile
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) cumin
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) paprika
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) dried oregano
- ¾ tablespoon (11mL) sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon (1mL) (cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) wine vinegar (red or white)
- 1½ cups (350mL) diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups (350mL) tomato puree
- 4 cups (1L) water
- sour cream for garnish
- Place beans in a large pot and cover with enough water to cover by 2 inches (2.5 cm), and allow to soak overnight. Drain beans and cover again with fresh water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Heat the corn oil in a stockpot or other very large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chipotle and ancho chiles, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, cayenne, and vinegar, and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, and the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the beans with their juice. Simmer for 1 hour. Serve with or without sour cream.