Cookbook:Black Bean Chili
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Black Bean Chili|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 3½ cups (8 dL) dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) corn oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle chile
- ¼ ancho chile
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) cumin
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) paprika
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) dried oregano
- ¾ tablespoon (11 mL) sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) wine vinegar (red or white)
- 1½ cups (350 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups (350 mL) tomato puree
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- Sour cream for garnish
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Place beans in a large pot, add with enough water to cover by 2 inches (2.5 cm), and allow to soak overnight. Drain beans and cover again with fresh water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Heat the corn oil in a stockpot or other very large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chipotle and ancho chiles, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, cayenne, and vinegar, and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, and the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the beans with their juice. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve with or without sour cream.