Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 cup flour (100 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5 g)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tbs butter (50 g)
- 1 Tbs sugar (50 g)
- ½ cup milk (125 ml) + extra milk for glazing
- about 6 scones
- Preheat the oven to 450° F (225° C).
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Rub in butter. Add sugar. Add the milk and mix with a knife until obtaining a soft, not sticky, dough.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured board and knead it quickly until it is smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch (12 mm) thickness. Cut 16 rounds with 2 inch fluted cookie cutter and transfer them to a buttered cookie sheet. glaze tops with milk.
- Bake towards top of the hot oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Serve tea scones with butter, whipped cream, and jam.
- Raisin scones - add 1-2 Tbs raisins with the sugar.
- Lemon and raisin scones - add 1 tsp finely grated lemon peel and 1-2 Tbs raisins with the sugar.
- Orange and cherry scones - add 1 tsp finely grated orange peel and 1-2 Tbs finely chopped candied cherries, washed and dried, with the sugar.
- Date and walnut scones - add 1 Tbs finely chopped dates and 1 Tbs finely chopped shelled walnuts with the sugar.
- Cinnamon scones - sift 1 tsp cinnamon with the flour.
- Ginger scones - sift 1/2 tsp ground ginger with flour.
- Honey scones - use 1 Tbs honey and 7 Tbs milk instead of 1 cup milk.
- chocolate chip - 2 tbs chocolate chips