Cookbook:Apple and Almond Cake
|Apple and Almond Cake|
|Time||prep: 15 minutes|
baking: 75-90 minutes
Apple and Almond Cake is delicious warm or cold as a dessert or "stand-alone" cake, this simple and reliable recipe is tried and tested. Cuts into 8 slices.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 5 ounces (145 g) butter
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces (230 g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 8 ounces (230 g) self-raising flour
- 1½ level teaspoons baking powder
- approx. ¾ pounds (330 g) peeled cooking apples (Bramleys)
- icing sugar to dredge
Method[edit | edit source]
- Grease a 9" (23 cm) loose-bottomed spring-form cake tin.
- Melt the butter in a pan gently, then pour into a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, sugar and almond essence and stir well until mixed. Then add the flour and baking powder. Stir well - at this point, it should be a stiff mixture.
- Spread just under two-thirds of the mixture into the cake tin.
- Immediately afterwards, peel, core and slice the apples and place on top of the mixture in the tin. Cover these with the remainder of the cake mixture. At this stage, the cake may appear "untidy", but the cooking process eliminates most unevenness or gaps in the surface.
- Bake for 1¼ to 1½ hours in a pre-heated oven at 325 °F/160 °C/Gas Mark 3.
Once cooked, allow to cool slightly in the tin, loosen the sides of the cake with a knife and gently push the cake out onto a plate. Lightly dust the top of the cake with sieved icing sugar once cool. Serve warm or cold, with cream for best results.
Storage[edit | edit source]
This cake will last for at least 3-4 days, and can be re-heated as necessary. Keep covered or alternatively refrigerate.