Cookbook:Apple Pie I
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Apple Pie I|
|Time||prep: 45 minutes
baking: ~60 minutes
- 8 oz (225 g) plain flour
- 4 oz (110 g) margarine
- 2 oz (55 g) lard
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 lb (500 g) apples, sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 oz (28 g) salted butter
- 2½ c sugar, and additional for sprinkling
- ¼ c flour
- 2½ tbsp cornstarch
- Rub flour, margarine, lard, and salt together until the mixture has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- Add 2 tablespoons water to make a soft but firm dough.
- Roll pastry on floured surface to the size you want your pie. Make two crusts.
- Place one crust in pie pan.
- Do not precook apples, as this will deprive the pie of a substantial amount of flavor and turns the apples into mush!
- Peel and slice apples into 1/8th-1/4th inch (about 50 mm) thick segments.
- Add lemon juice to apples.
- Mix apples by hand with 1/2 cup sugar and a few dashes of cinnamon.
- Transfer segments, minus their acquired juices, to pie pan. (Omitting the expressed juice will help prevent the pie from boiling over in the oven.)
- Mix the rest of the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and cornstarch in a separate bowl.
- Pour this over the apples in pie pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with the other crust.
- Firm down edges with fork or finger.
- Cut heart or diamond-shaped vents into top crust.
- Brush the pastry top with milk and sprinkle additional sugar and cinnamon over the top.
- Bake at 350 °F (180 °C) until golden brown (about 60 minutes.)
- Take the pie out of the oven and let it cool slightly on the counter. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to eat it right out of the oven, as it will be very hot and this can cause burns!
- Serve warm with ice cream or custard.
Requires level 30 cooking.
- Get a hold of all the ingredients in the cooking guild:
- A pie dish
- An apple
- Pick the wheat just outside of the cooking guild and head up to the top floor of the guild.
- Use the wheat on the hopper and pull the lever nearby. Head downstairs and fill the pot with flour from the flour bin.
- Use the bucket on the sink in the guild to fill it with water and combine the flour with the water to make a pie dough.
- Use the pie dough on the pie dish to get a pie crust.
- Pick up an apple from the table on the top floor and use it with the pie crust to make an uncooked apple pie.
- Use the uncooked apple pie on the stove to cook it. Lower cooking levels can lead to a higher chance of burning the pie.
- TIP: If you have a low cooking level you can take all of your uncooked pies to the Lumbridge castle stove where there is a lower chance of burning your pies as long as you have done the 'Cook's assistant' quest.
- Once you're done you can proceed to eat the pie, bank it or sell it on the Grand Exchange.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Use a variety of apples to get more complex flavors and textures.
- Use 2-3 Granny Smith apples, in combination with the other apples.
- Replace the lard with shortening for a vegan dessert.
- Filling will be EXTREMELY hot immediately after the pie is taken from the oven, so let it cool slightly before you eat it!