Applied Science BTEC Nationals
Edexcel Level 3 BTEC Nationals in Applied Science[edit | edit source]
Overview[edit | edit source]
The British exam board Edexcel offers BTEC Nationals in Applied Science. There is as yet no textbook published. This is an attempt to rectify the matter.
Please contribute any material you want. This is a multi-author, open project; but you can contact Ewen if there is anything you would like to add but you are not sure how to do it, or if you have any suggestions.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Units[edit | edit source]
- 01 Fundamentals of Science
- 02 Working in the Science Industry
- 03 Scientific Investigation
- 04 Scientific Practical Techniques
- 05 Perceptions of Science
- 06 Mathematical Tools for Science
- 07 Mathematics for Science Technicians
- 08 Statistics for Science
- 09 Informatics for Science
- 10 Using Science in the Workplace
- 11 Physiology of Human Body Systems
- 12 Physiology of Human Regulation and Reproduction
- 13 Biochemical Techniques
- 14 Energy Changes, Sources and Applications
- 15 Microbiological Techniques
- 16 Chemistry for Biology Technicians
- 17 Electrical Circuits and their Industrial Applications
- 18 Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- 19.1 Measuring sulphate concentration.
- 19.2 Measuring copper content of brass.
- 19.3 Measuring manganese content of steel.
- 19.4 Measuring calcium concentration by titration.
- 19.5 Measuring iron concentration by colorimetry.
- 19.6 Case studies
- 22.1 Qualitative analysis of inorganic substances.
- 22.2 Qualitative analysis of organic substances.
- 22.3 Measuring the iron content of iron tablets.
- 22.4 Extracting plasticisers from PVC.
- 22.5 Extracting caffeine from tea.
- 22.6 Synthesis of ethanal by oxidation.
- 22.7 Synthesis of benzoic acid by oxidation.
- 22.8 Synthesis of aspirin by esterification.
- 22.9 Synthesis of ethyl ethanoate by esterification.
- 22.10Preparation of Kastle-Meyer test reagent.
- 22.11 Extraction and presumptive testing of cocaine.
- 22.12 Synthesis and analysis of iron (II) ethanedioate.
- 25 Electronics for Science Technicians
- 26 Industrial Applications of Chemical Reactions
- 27 Chemical Periodicity and its Applications
- 28 Industrial Applications of Organic Chemistry
- 29 Physiological Investigations
- 30 Medical Instrumentation
- 31 Criminology
- 32 Forensic Evidence Collection and Analysis
- 33 Forensic Photography
- 34 Criminal Psychology
- 35 Forensic Psychology
- 36 Forensic Fire Investigation
- 37 Forensic Science Informatics
- 38 Traffic Accident Investigation
- 39 Criminal Investigation Procedures
- 40 Criminal Investigation Practice
- 41 Forensic Media and Crime
- 42 Geology of Natural Resources
- 44 Astronomy
- 45 Basic Polymer Technology
- 46 Plastics Materials
- 47 Plastics Processing
- 48 Polymer Process Engineering
- 49 Rubber Products and Specialist Elastomers
- 50 Rubber Technology
- 51 Mechanical and Thermal Treatment of Metals
- 52 Structure and Properties of Metals
- 53 Extraction and Refining of Metals
Resources[edit | edit source]
- Definitive details from the Edexcel website.
- See also: Developments in BTEC Nationals.
- Basic analytical Toxicology - WHO online text.
- Court TV resource
- Designed for the A-level course but still useful.
- Tutor support materials - exemplar material for units 1, 4, 5, 29, 32 and 35. See p14 (and 15-19) for an assignment sheet that can be adapted.
- NSS Briefing 2007-08 - the final page is the cover sheet for units.