The Polish language is a member of the Western Slavic group of the Indo-European family of languages. It is easiest to learn if one already knows some other related language.
The most closely related are other Western Slavic languages: Czech, Slovak, Silesian, Kashubian and Sorbian. More distant are the Southern and Eastern Slavic languages like Russian, Ukrainian, Belorusian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Serbo-Croatian, and Slovenian.
Polish is spoken by a total of approximately 40 million people, making it the second most widely spoken Slavic language in the world, next to Russian. Speakers of related languages can pick it up with not much effort.
Someone who doesn't speak any Slavic language, but speaks some other Indo-European language, may still find many similarities between Polish grammar and the grammar of that language, as well as many similar words.
This Wikibook is designed for anyone who wants to learn the basics of the Polish language. It is suitable for beginners and those who've been learning the language for a few years.
Table of contents
- Polish pronunciation
- Basic grammar
- Some useful expressions
- List of words (Lista słów)
- More on nouns - genders
- Order of words in a sentence
- Noun cases (declensions)
- Cześć! Jak się masz?
- Conjugations of common verbs
- Present tense (czas teraźniejszy)
- Past tense (czas przeszły)
- Future tense (czas przyszły)
- Conditional mood (tryb przypuszczający)
- Imperative mood (tryb rozkazujący)
- Nouns - Gender (Rzeczowniki - Rodzaj)
- Nouns - Number (Rzeczowniki - Liczba)
- Pronouns (Zaimki)
- Possessive pronouns (Zaimki dzierżawcze)
- Nouns - Gender II (Rzeczowniki - Rodzaj II)
- Adjectives (Przymiotniki)
- Nouns - Number II (Rzeczowniki - Liczba II)
- Verbs (Czasowniki)
This document was originally copyright 2002 Tomasz Węgrzanowski & Anna (grammar) <email@example.com> It may be distributed under terms of GNU Free Documentation Licence. Since its original writing, it has been edited and redistributed on Wiktionary and, currently, Wikibooks.
- Polish Pronunciation Audio and Grammar Charts
- Polish language in English Wiktionary and Polish Wiktionary
- Polish phrasebook (WikiVoyage)
- Wikipedia: Polish language
- Polish Wikipedia
- Polish pronunciation records on Wikimedia Commons
- False Friends of the Slavist