History of Edmeston, New York/People

From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Some of the people mentioned in the History of Edmeston, New York, listed alphabetially in sections according to last names.

Arnold[edit | edit source]

  • Benjamin Arnold one of the many owners of the Brady House
  • Louden Arnold, Esq. (d. March 3, 1868, age 93y2m15d). Buried at Taylor Hill Cemetery. — [1]
  • Stephen Arnold of Binghamton, New York, taught at Taylor Hill sometime before 1820. He is said to have been sentenced to be hanged for whipping a student to death, but then to have been reprieved by the governor.

Banks[edit | edit source]

  • Levi B. Banks

Barrett[edit | edit source]

  • John Barrett (b. Jan. 9, 1803) — Farmer and Manufacturer. Born at Brockett’s Bridge. His post office address was Edmeston.
  • John Barrett (b. Dec. 23, 1827) — son of D.R. and Cyrene Barrett, was born in Manheim, Herkimer Co., N.Y.. At the age of five he settled in Edmeston with his parents. As his father was a farmer, John was reared to habits of industry and economy on the farm, which principles he carried with him throughout a successful business life. As soon as he was able to work he was hired out by his father on the farm, in order to aid in paying for his parents' home. He continued at this for several years. He was married to Miss Charissa Deming, of Edmeston, Sept. 19, 1852, by whome one son - Geo. D. - was born Dec. 4, 1864. Mrs. Charissa Barrett was born in Edmeston, July 8, 1832. Soon after marriage he commenced business for himself, and the fine property he accumulated shows the success which attended all his business operations. By his untiring energy and good judgement he became one of the foremost in his chosen occupation. Besides the duties of the farm he was engaged in the flour and lumber business with Edgar Bassett, at Edmeston, and it was not until Oct. 15, 1877, that he sold out his half-interest to his partner, conscious of the fact that his time on earth was short. He built his beautiful fine farm residence, in which his widow and son now reside, in 1860, and in that year settled on the home, where he continued to live till be was summoned, Jan. 8, 1878, to occupy a better "mansion" in the "Summer Land of Rest." As a citizen he was honest, trustworthy, respected, and esteemed; as a friend, sincere, and devoted. He had a very strong attachment for his family, and often did he express a desire that he might live to see his only son - George - grow to manhood's years, and well established in life. He had no apprehension of the future, and was firm in the faith that all would be well. In politics he affiliated with the Republican party. In business circles, and as a son and brother, he will be missed.— History of Otsego County, New York 1740-1878, by D. Hamilton Hurd, Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia, page 149-150

Bates[edit | edit source]

  • John Bates

Beardsley[edit | edit source]

  • Levi A. Beardsley inventor from South Edmeston — 1860.

Inventor of Pulley-Block, U.S. Patent - US 32856 A, July 23, 1861.

Billings[edit | edit source]

  • Nehemiah Billings one of the original members of the Taylor Hill Church when it was organized in 1794.
  • Seviah Billings one of the original members of the Taylor Hill Church when it was organized in 1794.

Bilyea[edit | edit source]

  • John Bilyea built the first tannery in Edmeston Centre.

Bootman[edit | edit source]

  • Joseph Bootman was a cloth dresser and wool carder who bought out Mr. Stern. Joseph was the father of our townsmen Truman and Edgar Bootman.

Burdick[edit | edit source]

Henry F. Burdick (b. Oct. 10, 1829) was a farmer born in Brookfield. His post office address was Edmeston.

Burleson[edit | edit source]

  • Silas Burleson

Cahoon[edit | edit source]

  • Ebenezer Cahoon (July 9, 1835) was a farmer, born in Edmeston. His post office address was Burlington Flats.

Carr[edit | edit source]

Chapin/Chapen[edit | edit source]

  • Daniel Chapin (d. 1837) and wife emigrated from the town of Richmond in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, in about 1800, and settled one and one half miles west of the Centre on lands of the Cooper patent. He died at age 63. His eldest son, Walter, remained on a portion of the old homestead until 1870, when he removed to Unadilla Forks, where he now [1878] resides. John, the second son, occupies the homestead. His mother is living with him at the age of 98. Alfonso is a resident of Sherburne, Chenango county.
  • On May 26, 1815, Daniel Chapin alegedly stole a horse and saddle from James Fenimore Cooper's stable in Cooperstown. He was arrested but hit the deputy in the face with a stick and escaped. On June 22, after a manhunt, he was retaken and placed in the Cooperstown jail. He almost succeeded in escaping from there by pulling up a plank and tunneling out. In August, he was convicted and sentenced to 7 years hard labor in the state prison.
  • In 1820, Daniel Chapin was made the guardian of the children of Ezekiel Spencer of, Somers, Tolland County, Connecticut. [2] The children and their dates of birth were:
    • Horace, 1792
    • Orlando, Sep 26, 1801
    • Stephen, Oct 2, 1803
    • Dolly, Aug 12, 1805
    • Harriet, Mar 12, 1807
    • Emily, Dec 18, 1808
    • Ezekiel, Jr., May 1, 1811
    • Mary Ann, Jan 28, 1812
    • Hannah, Sep 28, 1814
    • Loretta, Jul 9, 1818

  • Esq. David Chapen carried on a large shoe shop, and also a tannery, keeping six or eight hands each.
  • Uriah Chapin was an early settler in Burlington. David Chapin settled near Edmeston Centre, where he conducted a tannery. A son, Laurentine, lives on the homestead.

Chase[edit | edit source]

Horace Chase (b. Dec. 22, 1834) was a farmer, born in Edmeston. His post office address was Edmeston.

Comstock[edit | edit source]

  • Mary Comstock, an old maiden lady who lived on Pucker Street(1900)

Coon[edit | edit source]

  • John S. Coon, born in Plainfield, Otsego County, in 1807. When he was 28 years of age (1835) he built a furnace (at what is now West Edmeston) in which he made all kinds of farming implements, and continued to follow the same trade for some twenty years, then he manufactured wagons and cutters. For many years he was the sole owner of all the mills at West Edmeston. — (1835)

Cooper[edit | edit source]

Crandall[edit | edit source]

  • Henry D. Crandall (b.April 17, 1800) was a farmer, born in Brookfield, New York. His post office address was Edmeston.

Croghan[edit | edit source]

Deming[edit | edit source]

  • Aden Deming (1768 - June, 1847) was one of the first settlers in the town after Percifer Carr. He lived with Quakers in Pittsfield, New York until twenty years of age, when he purchased his time for twenty dollars. In 1791, he married Martha Phelps, and after having purchased a farm in this town and made some improvements, sold it for $125, and in 1792 settled with his family in the locality known later as "Graves' Flats." He soon after moved across Wharton creek. He was an industrious, hardy pioneer, and at the time of his death, he was the owner of 1300 acres of land in Edmeston, and 400 in Pittsfield. His wife died in 1848. In 1824, Aden Deming set aside $4000, the interest of which was to be given to the schools of the town. As of 1878, three of their family resided in the area,

DeForest[edit | edit source]

Dennison[edit | edit source]

  • Dorr Dennison (b. Jan. 4, 1852) was a farmer, born in Edmeston. His post office address was Edmeston.
  • Henry W. Dennison (b. March 21, 1853) was a farmer, born in Edmeston. His post office address was Edmeston.

Dresser[edit | edit source]

  • Franklin E. Dresser (b. June 19, 1827) was a farmer, born in Brookfield. His post office box was Edmeston.

Dutton[edit | edit source]

  • Alvin Dutton (March 21, 1824) was a farmer, born in Plainfield. His post office address was South Edmeston.
  • Julia Ann Dutton (Aug. 24, 1825) was a farmer, born in Edmeston. Her post office address was Edmeston.
  • Joseph H. Dutton (Dec. 27, 1847) was a farmer, born in Edmeston. His post office address was Edmeston.

Edmeston[edit | edit source]

Edmonds[edit | edit source]

Flint[edit | edit source]

Man on Gaskin House porch, possibly John Gaskin

Gaskin[edit | edit source]

  • John S. Gaskin — One of the many owners of the Gaskin House

Goodrich[edit | edit source]

  • Charles F. Goodrich

Goodsell[edit | edit source]

  • Levi Goodsell bought the Pleasant Street Hotel from Benjamin Peet.

Graves[edit | edit source]

  • Rufus Graves

Hawkins[edit | edit source]

  • Ambler Hawkins (b. June 2, 1840) was a butter and cheese manufacturer, born in Edmeston. His post office address was Edmeston.

Hickling[edit | edit source]

  • Thomas Hickling (b. May 12, 1827) was a farmer, born in Derbyshire, England. His post office address was Edmeston.

Hoxie[edit | edit source]

  • Stephan Hoxie (b. c.1777) emigrated from Connecticut, and was among the first settlers in the Unadilla Valley, at Leonardsville, New York, upon premises now [written in 1878] owned by his direct descendants. He was an honored pioneer, and lived to the advanced age of 101 years.
    • Solomon Hoxie, Sr. was the son of Stephan Hoxie and father of Nathan B. Hoxie.
      • Nathan B Hoxie (b. 1801) was the grandson of Stephan Hoxie, and son of Solomon Hoxie, Sr.. In 1826 he married Eliza Langworthy, and in 1832 moved in this town, settling on a farm in the Edmeston patent, which at that time, was a dense uninviting wilderness. They had but two children, who grew to years of manhood: Solomon Hoxie (their older son), and Samuel L. Hoxie (their younger son).
        • Solomon Hoxie, the older son of Nathan B. Hoxie, married Lucy P. Stickney, of Edmeston, and had three children: C. DeForest, Jennie L. and Franklin. Solomon Hoxie was supervisor for four years during the War of the Rebellion. In 1878 he was residing in Whitesboro, New York.
        • Samuel L. Hoxie, younger son of Nathan B. Hoxie lived on a farm adjoining the old homestead. He married Rosetta E. Pope, and their family consists of two children: Arthur S. and E. Ellsworth. Agnes, a daughter, died at the age of three years. Mr. Hoxie was one of the substantial citizens of the town, ranked among the progressive agriculturists and stock-breeders of the country. He occupied over 400 acres of land lying along the Unadilla river, and was largely engaged in dairying, although he gave much attention to breeding of improved stock. His horses were of the Hambletonian and Golddust breeds. He was a leading member of the Unadilla Stock-Breeders' association, and was instrumental in its organization.
  • Samuel H. Hoxie (b. April 17, 1832) was born in Brookfield his post office address was South Edmeston. [Very possibly the same person as Samuel L. Hoxie above]

Huntington[edit | edit source]

Joslyn[edit | edit source]

  • William Joslyn owner of a residence and large shoe store at the foot of the hill near the cemetery. — (1880)

Kelsey[edit | edit source]

  • Daniel Kelsey resided on Pucker Street(1900)

Kennedy[edit | edit source]

  • James Kennedy
  • William Kennedy

Langworthy[edit | edit source]

  • Nathan Langworthy, wife, and family emigrated from Rhode Island about the year 1805 and settled in Brookfield, about half a mile below West Edmeston, where he died. Two of his children subsequently moved across the river into Edmeston.
  • William F. Langworthy, a son of Nathan Langworthy, settled on a farm in sight of his father's place. He married Desire A. Bass in 1832. Numerous representatives of this family were residents of the town.

Lincoln[edit | edit source]

  • Jonathan Lincoln Jr. (May 19, 1827 – June 16, 1877) was born in Edmeston and died in Winslow, Illinois.

Matteson[edit | edit source]

Nash[edit | edit source]

  • Reverend Daniel Nash (1763-June 4 1837) was one of the first clergymen to be permanently located in Otsego County, beginning his labors in what were later Morris and Exeter. A house in which Father Nash often conducted religious services was that of Percifer Carr. — (1800)
The Reverend Daniel Nash was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. He graduated from Yale University, became a teacher, joined the Episcopal Church, and studied for ordination. In the 1790's, he moved to New Lebanon, New York, taught school and became a lay leader in the Church. While there, he met Miss Olive Lusk, who later became his wife and partner in missionary work.
Traveling to the "wilds" of Otsego County, they lived in various one room cabins built of unhewn logs, with scarcely a pane of glass to let in light sufficient to read the Bible. Sunday mornings, he, Olive and child would make the trek to Exeter and Morris for services. Fr. Nash officiated and preached, and Olive led the responses and singing.
On October 11 1801, Daniel Nash was ordained to the priesthood by the Rt. Rev. Benjamin Moore, the newly consecrated Bishop of New York. The Bishop reflected upon this event and wrote " Yesterday I ordained Fr. Nash a priest; and it affords me no little satisfaction to reflect that the first act of my Episcopal function has been employed in elevating to the priesthood so worthy a man."
Fr. Nash's ministry was marked by great devotion and energy, going from home to home, catechizing, teaching, and baptizing whole families. He preached to the Oneida Indians, and was loved by children. From 1804 to 1816, when the area was still wilderness, Nash reported 496 baptisms, and organized or founded at least 12 parishes in the Diocese of Albany.
At his death Fr. Nash left the words
Say, if you please, that I die in the faith of the Son of God. Of myself I am nothing. I trust alone in the merit and death of a crucified savior for pardon and acceptance.
He was buried beside his wife Olive who had died 20 years earlier.
Albany Episcopal Diocese: Reverend Daniel Nash 1763-1837
The first even quasi-regular religious services in Richfield were performed by the redoubtable Father Daniel Nash, who founded numerous Episcopal churches in the county, presided at the funeral of Hannah Cooper in 1800, and became the first rector of Christ Church in Cooperstown. Nash himself thoroughly deserves a sketch among the founders of this country. No one should be misled by the supposed portrait of him as "Mr. Grant" in The Pioneers. It is, as one of Nash's own successors observed, much too "anemic and depressing" a portrait to serve for so rugged an apostle in the wilderness as Daniel Nash. One of Beardsley's best anecdotes relates to an occasion when Nash was to preach in the new school house. As he was about to begin, all of the males in the congregation ran off into the woods to chase a bear. The bear was killed, brought back, and barbecued. Nash partook heartily of the feast, declaring the hunt only a venial offense against the Sabbath. The school in which Nash preached had been erected by a building bee as soon as "six or seven families had settled within striking distance."
Lyman H. Butterfield Cooper's Inheritance: The Otsego Country and its Founders
On Thursday September 17, 1828 in Exeter, Otsego County, NY, Rev. Daniel Nash married Edward B. Paine of this village to Sally Ann Johnston of Cooperstown, (daughter of Henri & Horatio G)

Northrup[edit | edit source]

  • William Northrup's rather imposing home was the first residence on the right hand of "Pucker Street" when leaving Edmeston. — (1900)

Payne[edit | edit source]

  • U. D. Payne, lived near the cemetery that was established there about that time and which has now grown to be what Eddie Guest calls one of "God's Great Slumber Groves."1900

Peck[edit | edit source]

Peet[edit | edit source]

  • Benjamin Peet built and ran the Pleasant Street Hotel, the first hotel in town, located where the current firehouse is. — (1800)
  • Silas Peet

Pettit[edit | edit source]

Phelps[edit | edit source]

Phinney[edit | edit source]

  • Marcy Phinney, an original member of the Taylor Hill Church

Pope[edit | edit source]

  • James F. Pope resided for some time on "Pucker Street", while he employed his time as tin and lead worker and also made trips about the country, mending household utensils, repairing clocks and purveying novelties, notions, etc., which he made, and flavoring essences of his own compounding. — (1900)
  • Samuel P. Pope
  • Spencer Pope

Robinson[edit | edit source]

  • Denzil Robinson, father of Jared Robinson, grandfather of Floyd Robinson, lived on the farm where the road branches off [from Pucker Street] which you may take to Burlington Flats, was one of the pioneer settlers and resided there until his death. — (1900)
    • Jared Robinson, son of Denzil Robinson, father of Floyd Robinson, conducted his father's farm from his father's death until he died, when it came into possession of Jared's son Floyd. — (1900)
      • Floyd Robinson, son of Jared Robinson, grandson of Denzil Robinson, established a nursery for trees, shrubs and fruits, on [the family farm's] fertile acres; since Floyd's death until now [1900], it has been conducted by his widow and son. — (1900)

Russell[edit | edit source]

  • Robert E. Russell acted as agent for the Edmeston heirs at one time surveying lands and selling them off as other settlers wanted them. Some of the finest lands in Columbus were received by Russell for his services.

Simmons[edit | edit source]

Smith[edit | edit source]

  • Dr. Gains Smith (d. 1819) was the first physician in Edmeston. He came with his family from Vermont in 1800, and settled on the road leading from Edmeston Centre to West Burlington. He had a large practice, was highly esteemed in the community and died in at age 75. A daughter named Rachel married David Brown, in Vermont, and moved to this town after her father's death. Another daughter, Diantha, married Benjamin St.John in Saratoga County. Their son (the doctor's grandson) was David B. St.John.

Southworth[edit | edit source]

  • Joseph Southworth built where David Talbot [later] lived, and kept a tavern some fifty years. Mr. Southworth had four sons and three daughters. His oldest son Joseph went to Michigan in 1830. Thomas lived on the old place until he died [1869], about twenty years ago. He was in the War of 1812, and drew a pension. His youngest, Horace, lives now in Leonardsville, the rest of the family are dead. — (1800)
  • Thomas Southworth was born in Mansfield, Connecticut, in 1792 and died in Edmeston in 1869. As a baby he moved with his father to Edmeston, where, like his father, Joseph, he was a farmer and also ran the roadside inn on the farm. He was also a shoe maker. Since the father of Ellen Mary Southworth (Denzil Robinson) was a shoemaker too, and was contemporary with Thomas, the family in later years tied two baby wooden shoe lasts together with ribbons and hung them up as a coat of arms. Just prior to the Mexican War of 1848, Thomas learned that a local troop of horsemen was to be formed, to be sent to Mexico. He mortgaged the farm heavily to raise money to buy great quantities of leather, and hired a force of men to make boots for the troopers. Too late he learned that the troop was not to be formed, leaving him with all the accumulated boots. It took many years of manual labor for him, and of teaching school for two of his sons, to pay off the debt.
  • William Southworth, on the corner where Jared Robinson now lives. He sold to Deacon Lee, father of Martin Lee, who carries on the carding and cloth dressing, where John Taylor is now.

Spencer[edit | edit source]

  • Dr. Halsey Spencer (d. 1870), came from Greene County, New York to Otsego in 1814, and located in West Exeter. He remained there two years, and removing to this town, settled on the turnpike between the Centre and West Burlington, where he began his practice as a physician, in which he labored until his death. He was an esteemed and influential citizen of the county, and served in various capacities. He was supervisor in 1835-37, member of assembly in 1828, and sheriff in 1838.
  • Dr. William M. Spencer, M.D., a son of Halsey Spencer, was the first resident physician at the Centre, where he now [1878] resides, and is in the active practice of his profession. He served several years as supervisor.

St. John[edit | edit source]

Stearns[edit | edit source]

Stern[edit | edit source]

  • Mr. Stern was a cloth dresser and wool carder who sold his operation to Joseph Bootman.

Stickney[edit | edit source]

Talbot[edit | edit source]

  • Isaac Talbot taught in the Edmeston Centre school. — (1845)

Taylor, Tailor[edit | edit source]

  • Rev. (Elder) Stephen Taylor came from Rhode Island and settled in the town in 1790. He organized the First Baptist Church of Edmeston, on Taylor Hill, March 8, 1794, donated the land on which to erect the church, assisted in the construction of the edifice and preached there for 35 years. He never took a salary, had a farm of 80 acres, and the church helped him get his hay and wood (cut and drawn by a bee). He died in 1841 at age 71. — (1820)

Ten Broeck[edit | edit source]

  • Jacob Ten Broeck Esqr. (c.1742 – September 19, 1813), died in the 71st year of his life. His gravestone stands at the Dutch Valley Farm Cemetery.
  • Ann Ten Broeck (c.1751 – February 25, 1830), wife of Jacob Ten Broeck died at 79 years. Her gravestone stands at the Dutch Valley Farm Cemetery.
  • Wessle (Wessel) TenBroek was town supervisor in 1809 and 1810.
  • Anna Ten Broeck (c.1772 – Nov 10, 1839), wife of Wessel Ten Broeck, died at age 67. Her gravestone stands at the Dutch Valley Farm Cemetery.

Terry[edit | edit source]

Tunnicliff[edit | edit source]

Underwood[edit | edit source]

  • Ambler Underwood was the younger brother of Homer Underwood. Both were building contractors.
  • Halsey Underwood, younger brother of Homer Underwood, specialized in painting and plastering.
  • Homer Underwood, born in Edmeston on November 16, 1848 to Delos and Lydia Underwood, was the first of 7 children, 3 boys, 3 girls, and a baby that died shortly after birth. At an early age, he learned carpentry form Samuel Bilyea. Homer and his brother Ambler became building contractors, their brother, Halsey, a painter and plasterer. Together they built a church, bank, school, opera house, and a large tenement home called the Five Sisters. Many of the more substantial homes in town can be attributed to their teamwork. They also moved a number of old buildings, a common practice in those days. Their suppliers included Bert Ackerman’s Sash and Blind factory and an adjacent furniture factory.

Utter[edit | edit source]

  • Mr. Utter -

Vanderveer[edit | edit source]

Vandenberg[edit | edit source]

  • Vandenberg was a miller.

Waldo[edit | edit source]

  • Erastus Waldo was a noble man; He held some town office the most of the time until he left town. — 1830

White[edit | edit source]

  • Lyman White opened a store in 1824 near the Peet Tavern