History of Edmeston, New York/1890s
The history of Edmeston, New York: 1890 through 1899
1895[edit | edit source]
The New Berlin branch of the New York Ontario & Western Railway ran from Cooperstown Junction, (just north of Sidney) to New Berlin. In 1895 the branch was extended north to Edmeston, when the Wharton Valley Railroad agreed to lease the line to the NYO&W. In 1941 the entire New Berlin branch was sold to the Unadilla Valley Railway which ran the branch until 1960 when operations stopped.
1898[edit | edit source]
Aug 24, 1898, The new First Day Baptist Church building was opened in West Edmeston. The idea for a Church was conceived in January of 1897. In Feb. of 1898 the Church was formally organized and admitted to the Otsego county Baptist Association. — First Day Baptist Church, Memories of West Edmeston
The new school is a beautiful structure combining Gothic and Corinthian styles of architecture. It is heated by steam, has an approved system of lighting and perfect system of ventilation. All of the air in the entire building can be changed every twenty minutes without reducing the temperature. Fresh air is supplied directly from out doors by means of flues. It may be passed around the boilers and warmed and thus brought into the rooms, warm and pure, or it may come directly to the rooms if desired. In any case every pupil and teacher has a constant supply of pure air and thus be considered a very important feature by every thinking person. We have no more complaints about the head aching; and that dull, heavy listless attitude of the pupil has disappeared. The interior of the building is even more important than the exterior; it is finished with oak throughout, the casements and so on are fine examples of art and workmanship. The walls are covered with stained paper of delicate green and finished with flowers and numerous specimens of animals and birds, nicely mounted and protected by glass cases. In fact the air of the entire building must inspire within the mind of every student an admiration for the beauty of art and the simplicity of adornment, because while it is rich and complete in all its appointments, still nothing has been overdone. — The Edmeson Local