Hindi is an Indo-European language spoken as a first language in India and second language in many countries where Indians have emigrated. It is written with the Devanagari script which fairly closely follows the phonetics of the language. Spoken Hindi is very similar to spoken Urdu — as such they are both often classified as part of the Hindustani (Indian) language.
Feel free to use Wiktionary's Hindi Category to study words.
Basic Hindi in 1,2,3 Steps
To be reorganized
- 1: Introducing Hindi
- 2: Speaking and Writing the Hindi language
- 3: Your first pieces of vocabulary and grammar
Useful External Resources
- Easiest way to Learn Hindi Online ! Hindi lessons, grammar, exercises and daily sentences
- Learning Hindi! Free online Hindi lessons
- Displaying and Inputting Devanagari
- Hindi Speaking Tree
- Hindi-English-Hindi dictionary and thesaurus
- E-Kalam an online tool to type in Devanagari using both Unicode and non-Unicode fonts
- Learn Hindi - Free Hindi Tutorial
- Matthew Blackwell's Hindi Editor
- Hindi Lessons by Afroz Taj
- Online Hindi Type Pad
- Free Online Hindi Beginners Course
- ISpeakHindi.com learn Hindi podcast
- Android App - "Learn Hindi Quickly Free"