|Yogurt Curry Soup (Kadhi)|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Cuisine of India | Curry
Kadhi also known as Karhi or Gujarati Kadhi is a sweet yogurt curry, normally eaten with unleavened flat bread called Roti and Sabzi in India.
- 2 cups Chickpea flour (Besan)
- 1 1/2 cups Curds/Yogurt(dahi)
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 2 Curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds ( Rai / sarson)
- A pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 Red chilli, broken into pieces
- 2 tsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- Mix the gram flour, curds and 3 teacups of water. Beat.
- Add the chilli-ginger paste, curry leaves, sugar and salt and put to boil.
- Boil whilst stirring for a while.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the Ghee and frying the cumin and Mustard seeds until they turn brown.
- Add the asafoetida and red chilli.
- Add the tempering to the kadhi and boil for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle Coriander on top and serve hot.
Notes and variations
- This is the basic Chickpea curry/soup. But, you can make its variations with Bitter Gourd, Pakora, Spinach and more.
- Best served when hot.
- This sweet yogurt curry is popular in Gujarat but in northern India, it is considered too sweet. So, prepare a variation depending on your guests' preference for spice.