Cookbook:Whole Wheat Bread
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon (125 ml plus 15 ml) brown sugar
- 2 packages dry (2 1/4 teaspoons, 35 ml) yeast
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm water
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm milk
- 5-6 cups (1.25-1.5 l) whole wheat flour - there is no white flour in this recipe.
- 2 teaspoons (30 ml) salt
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) oil
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Dissolve 1 Tablespoon brown sugar in warm water in a small bowl. Add yeast and let stand until sponge/foamy.
- Place remaining ½ cup brown sugar, 4 cups flour, salt in large mixing bowl, briefly mix.
- If using stand mixer: using dough hook on low speed, add yeast mixture, oil, and warm milk and mix for 2 minutes. Stop and scrape bowl if necessary. Continuing on low speed, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Continue to on low speed to knead the dough at least 2 minutes.
- The coarseness of the bran may prevent the dough from forming a ball on the hook, but so long as the hook is getting contact with the dough kneading will be accomplished. Be cautious adding the flour - never more than 6 cups - as the bread may become very dry.
- If working by hand: add yeast mixture, oil, and warm milk, working with a spoon at first and then with clean hands. Dough will be difficult to get to mix in all the flour, but you can do it! Turn onto a floured surface where you can work in additional flour, adding about 1/4 cup at a time and working completely in before adding more. Knead until firm.
- The 100% whole wheat will not knead to a silken smooth dough. Kneading will often work some of the coarser bran out of the dough, depending on the type of flour you have on hand. The finer the milling, and the higher gluten, the better the whole-wheat bread.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover, let rise in warm place free of drafts about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Punch down and divide in half. Shape as loaf and place in greased loaf pan. Cover, let rise in warm place free of drafts about another hour, until doubled in size.
- Bake in an oven at 400°F (200 °C) for 15 minutes, reduce oven temp to 350°F (175 °C) 30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove immediately from pans and cool on wire racks.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Whole-wheat rolls[edit | edit source]
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons brown sugar, increase yeast to 3 packages. Raise for about 15 minutes, then divide for rolls, below, and raise in warm oven (90°F, 30°C) for 15 minutes. Bake at 425°F (220 °C) for 12, or until lightly tanned.
- Spiral rolls: divide in half, roll to 12"x9" (30cm x 20cm) rectangle. Cut into 10-12 equal-width strips, and roll each strip tightly. Place on greased baking sheets about 2" (5cm) apart.
- Clover leaves. Divide dough into 24 equal portions. Form each piece into a ball and place in greased muffin pan. With scissors, cut each ball in half, then quarters.