Cookbook:French Canadian Shepherd's Pie (Pâté Chinois)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Cookbook:Shepherds Pie (Pâté Chinois))
|French Canadian Shepherd's Pie (Pâté Chinois)|
Pâté chinois (Chinese pie) is a traditional French Canadian main course, and is often served during the cold months of the year. It is typically served with pickled beets.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 8 medium fresh whole white potatoes
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small yellow or Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper (optional), chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained, or creamed sweet corn with sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until soft, drain. Mash potatoes, adding 2 tbsp butter and just enough milk to achieve a spreadable consistency. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef with onions and peppers. Drain fat and put ground beef mixture in bottom of casserole dish.
- Mix creamed corn and whole kernel corn, then spread over beef.
- Spread the mashed potatoes across the top to form a 'crust'. Lightly sprinkle with paprika, and salt/pepper to taste, and make tracks with a fork, if desired.
- Bake uncovered at 400°F until the potatoes are golden brown (approximately 30 minutes).
- Serve hot with a generous portion of sliced chilled pickled beets.